Thread: Dash wireing.

Kip Wilson is offline Junior Member

Dash wireing.

I bought a 78 cj a few months back. I've about replaced everything. The jeep is at paint and body now, but when I get it back I'll be replacing all of the gauges. Is there one brand of guages that are better than the rest? Also the lights for the guages haven't worked since I bought the jeep, any help or ideas? The fuses are,all good.

Turbogus is offline Senior Member

Re: Dash wireing.

Welcome to the wonderful world of CJ's, Kip. In my case one I found functioning replacement (after two tries) O.E. gauges for the speedometer cluster I added mechanical gauges to the dash and in the place of the Voltmeter and Oil pressure electrical gauges lacking increments and are short sweep, I went with Auto Meter 270* sweep mechanicals. I also added an incremented Engine Temp. gauges as well. I noticed that Auto Meter had these plasctic standoffs available, but since mine were 2" gauges I just used some black pvc cut at an approapriate angle for easier and quicker viewing.
    If you find the orange wiring, this is the lead for all of the dash and gauge lights. The lights themselves ground through the steel dash itself (steel not being a great conductor of electricity) then to the steel body and then to the negative terminal of the battery IF you have a ground strap to the firewall or elsewhere. Also a great idea to ground the frame as well.
    Last edited by Turbogus; 02-15-2016 at 03:08 PM.
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

Turbogus is offline Senior Member

Re: Dash wireing.

Dash wireing.-wp_20170415_18_21_45_pro.jpg
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).