Whistleing jeep

Gennybro

94 yj, 6cyl. Have this whistleing noise that is really getting on my nerves, and I can't find the source. I believe it's not mechanical cause while setting in the jeep with out it running and the wind blowing I occasionally hear it briefly.
It's been months and The wicked demon still sings to me while driveing. At about 25 mph is it's strongest tone. Any suggestions?
I have had friends set in the jeep as I used an aircompressor blowing air at the jeep to try to get the sound and locate it. No luck. Slowly going insane, help.
Sound seems to come from the lower middle part of the dashboard where the heater vents are.

The leading cause for this is at the throttle body. TB spacers, improperly torqued bolts, worn or missing gasket. Other than that a vacuum leak.

Outside the jeep the top sealing to the windshield gasket, or do you have cowl scoop?

Dont believe it's mechanical, nor the gasket mentioned. I had a friend drive the jeep as I sit in the passenger side with a plastic funnel to my ear to isolate the proximity of the noise.
It comes from the area where the plastic vents are below the dash. It's strange but on a rainy day I noticed I dont here it.

It may be your blend door isn't sealing. Outside air is constantly blowing in.

Windshield gasket

Last edited:

Blend door! Are you talking about the door that is actuated by the defrost /heater /vent. I checked that out and stuffed paper towels in there and drove it, nope thats not it.

Once I take the top off, it wont matter. Which is going to be very soon. Thanks for the input.

I wish I could have seen you driving around with a funnel in your ear!!
Nothing like squeaks & whistles & such to drive a guy wacky...

Its "hainted" just like our 98 GC limited that about once every three months likes to flash all the dash head and tail lights on and off at night, not all at once mind you, but in a nonrepeating pattern between the inside and outside lights. So far everything involved with it except all the bulbs and sockets have been replaced so its gotta be a ghost or three

Back