YJ Steering clearance issues

Lizardhead

I have a '91 YJ wrangler with a 4" lift and a Currie Enterprises Dana 44 front conversion.
I recently installed a Rugged Ridge HD steering kit and now appear to have clearance issues with the differential cover.
I am looking for an easy solution.
Does anyone know is there such a thing as a low profile differential cover.
Currie sells one the describe as being used for in these situations but it's hard to tell if there is actually any difference from the one I have on it now.
I'm hesitant to spend that much money without knowing if it will work for me.
Any thoughts.

can you post a picture? is it the draglink or the tie rod interferrng

I don't have digital camera so I can't post a picture.
It's the tie rod that runs from the passenger knuckle to the knuckle on the drivers side.
The tie rod on the passenger side has an offset towards the rear on the shank of the tie rod end.
I haven't measured it but it looks like a 30 or 40 degree bend.
I'm considering the possibility of heating it up to the point I can straighten it out, but have some concerns about the tempering of the metal.
Fixing it this way would probably yield a half inch or so of additional clearance, solving my problem.
I'm going to think about it for a while.

Teraflex, RuffStuff, maybe others as well, have offset tierod ends.
4a82082f85e76181-1.jpg

I have a cross over steering conversion on my cj that is VERY similar to your yj,s steering. The bent tie rod end on the passenger side you mention is bent towards the front not the rear as you say yours is. You may want to check some photos of yours, as I believe it should be pointing forward as well. They make those tie rod ends with a bent either way so yours may be the wrong way.

Thanks for the information.
For now I have a different differential cover coming and I'll see if that solves the problem.
If it doesn't moving the offset forward would is not feasible, at least not with the current tie rod and drag link, as it would cause a clearance problem with the drag link near the attachment point, which is close to the end on this system.
I hate the thought that I may have to invest in another totally new system, but that may be the only practical solution.

you may want to consider a tie rod flip kit. It moves the tie rods to the top of the steering arm instead of under, this may solve some of you clearance problems if the others don't solve it. The good kit is about 125.oo

Look at Rock Equipment kit at OK4wd.com 129.00 I have heard from very trusting sources this is a good kit. I have hear the goferit kits are ok but wear out over time and become loose. I am getting the rock equipment kit in a couple weeks because my tie rods are against my springs.

I finally got notice that the differential cover shipped and should have it tomorrow, so I'll have an answer whether or not I need to go that route.
I've been looking at both those kits and came to the conclusion that the Rock Equipment kit would probably solve the clearance problem with the differential.
It may however create a clearance issue with the drag link were it connects to the tie rod since it's so close to the end and is offset.
The only solution I see to that would be moving the axle a 1/2" or so to the rear on the springs.
I haven't figured out yet if that would cause any problems, but I'll face it if it comes to that.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just thought of something that may be another option for you. They make offset spring plates that let you mount your spring either as the factory did or 1" forward or backwards. The plate has three holes in it one forward, center, and rearward depending on how you want. That may be another option for you, I cant remember who makes them so try googling "jeep offset spring plates"

Back