1999 Jeep Wrangler, fuel smell/ acceleration issues/ slight sputtering

David.a.14

So this problem started right after an eight hour drive from Baltimore to Upstate NY. I never really had any problems I couldn't necessarily handle but this one is kind of bothering me. I have the fuel smell that is originating from the back half of my jeep, by the driver side. I also notice that I can not accelerate quite like I used to and the jeep sputters a bit when I reach speeds of 50-60. It is noticeable but nothing too drastic. I have had this issue for the past couple of weeks but never really had the time to do a full diagnostic. Also, I don't really know where to start because I never had this problem before. I was thinking it might be my gascap o-ring or an o2 sensor but I am really not too sure. It is probably something super simple that I have been over looking.

I have no "check engine light" or anything that would indicate a potential major issue. I am just worried that this might escalate. Please if anyone might know this issue, help a brother out :)

Check the vent lines for the fuel tank to make sure they're not disconnected or dry rotted.

Also check to make sure the check engine light comes on temporarily at start-up.

wouldn't hurt to check the hard line fuel lines for "weeping", it certainly would help explain the fuel smell. I'm adding this suggestion because I had the issue with my lines about two years ago. It was frustrating because I could smell gas but I was looking for dripping leaks then noticed some tiny little beads of moisture (my flashlight made them kinda shiny) that was gas weeping through. I replaced the lines and was all was good.

Back