Speaking of speedomters...

Turbogus

I've noticed a few threads of the speedomter needle jumping as mine started doing last winter when I was struggling with other issues.
When I first got 'Black Betty' she had one of the VDO speedomters with no provision for a Brake light s-l500.jpg

From the Jeep Service Manual I corrected this with the genuine article Stewart Warner Speedometer
s-l500.jpg

Well, this one went with the cable going out which is a lesson to me as soon as the needle starts jumping around it can damage the spring internals to the point of no return;

WP_20161004_15_16_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20161004_15_13_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20161004_15_14_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20161004_15_13_35_Pro.jpg

Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these SW speedometers? The cost of a new one is out of reach for me and may be for some time and the internals are incompatible between my spare VDO and this one.

Last edited:

i have not but i would imagine that getting the spring tension correct would be very hard.

It looks like that fork has a magnet in it that holds th bell's center shaft

001.jpg
002.jpg

and that magnet seems pretty weak.

wow, i have never taken one apart like that. looks cool.

i guess you can get a magnet and cut to that size but it looks like the magnet spins and that messed up spring provides some measured resistance as it tightens which is equal to the rotational speed of the magnet, allowing the needle to point properly.

might be better the swap to something electronic. something that runs off gps so you don;t have to worry if you change tire size

IF can get some funds together I may get a new Speedometer head. Does anyone know what year(s) this 90 mph brake light on the left came on?001.jpg

Right here is where the break occurred, tough luck that, but from another forum a member got a bunch of parts and they're willing to trade the correct one with my damaged one as he's just making a clock out of it.speedo 9.jpg

Got the speedometer installed last night, in the many months since I removed the old one I had almost forgotten how difficult it is to install the top mounting nutz, got one of them at least!

After installing the replacement speedometer head on 'BB' I noticed no gauge activity. I checked voltage at the slide on terminal and there was none. Checking the fuse it was blown.
I replaced the fuse and upon turning on the ignition it blew.
I looked over the wiring schematic and it looks like the wire from the fuse panel also feeds the speedomter head lights. Going to follow the DARS but this circuit (as far as I know) has been undisturbed since I bought 'BB' a few years ago. Anything I should look for beyond the DARS?

Last edited:

It must've been a bad ground, all is well now and all gauges including the Speedometer are working. Now I just have to figure out the kick down from fast idle to normal idle on my AFB and I'll be all set!:)

Back