1978 CJ7 walking issue

Hey all, I have a 1978 CJ7 with a 4" lift on 33's. When i bought it, it had only been used as a trail jeep, in the mud and on rocks. The driverside ball joints and wheel bearings were completely wore out so i have replaced them, the tierod on the passenger side had a loose nut so i tightened it up and put a new pin in. Took it to an alignment shop to be aligned. It is running MUCH better but is still walking to the point my wife doesn't enjoy riding in it. I have put her in the driver seat with the jeep running and had her turn the steering wheel and there is some play in both shackles and the steering box mount. I have purchased replacement shackles with poly bushings (Rugged Ridge greaseable from Quadratec) and Rusty's offroad extreme heavy duty steering box bracket. I have checked and the leafs have shims to account for the 4" lift so the caster angle should be correct (although i haven't checked to make sure). Does anyone have any other ideas for what could be causing the side to side walking?
My 7 walked all over too. The spring bushings an shackles are the worst on any vehicle I've ever seen. You need urethane bushings with steel sleeves in them, like the chevy uses. instead the bolt thru the rubber. Also the shackles need to have a bar or plate welded across them to keep them from tipping side to side. I changed my Springs to chevy Springs front and back, used the welded shackles. There is a ton of play in the original cj Springs. Good for flex off road, dangerous on road

Sent from my SGP561 using Jeepz.com mobile app

There is a brace you can get. Wraps around the steering output shaft and bolt to side of frame, stiffens it right up

Sent from my SGP561 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back