1985 cj7 carb on a 1986 cj7 better?

1985cj

hello, i thought i had a 1985 cj7 but i went and bought a brand new carb from online for a 1985 and it does not have the stepper motor plug on the back of the carb. i am having the usual bad ideal with the stepper and was wondering if it would be better to place this older jeep carb on to my inline 6. if so, what would i need to do in regard to the ignition to or could i just inplug stepper and throw carb on and call it a day?

thank you, jon

Welcome to jeepz.com
forgot the designation of that carburetor , old age , please forgive me. But I believe it's a carter ? Possibly the BBD model ?
It's Definatlt a feedback carb . Did you obtain the I.d. Numbers from the original carb when you ordered it ? Guessing it's already handed in for a core . The correct carb for your year should be a feedback carb with the mixture control . A stepper motor to me is a motor to advance idle when a/c is on and is ECM controlled . But at least if the idle mixture screws are set correct , you should see fuel squirt from the clusters below the choke plate as long as the fuel,pump is filling the float bowl . Check to see if fuel squirts when the accelerator linkage is moved to verify .
Somewhere , either the Internet from a carb rebuilder site or a good repair manual carb rebuild section , the carb numbers are obtainable for that engine , that model year . Some manuals won't include them as that is usually left to data sheets on rebuild kits but older manuals did have them . a factory service manual may not have them . They're usually found in older repair manuals . Ever since later models have evolved with fuel,injection , that info has fallen to the wayside .
the older MOTORS manuals which are more professional did include them .
Hope this post helps but look for the fuel squirt to see if carb is functioning as should .
Also , check that the idle mixture screws are open . Couldn't say how many turns are factory preset but that's adjusted after the engine running with a vacuum gauge and / or tach , which ever best suits your expertise . At least they should be evenly balanced , equal turns out from seated . If you want to verify screws are open , turn each one in until,it lightly seats counting exactly how many full turns and half turns or there of . Record this for each screw and return to this setting . It may be correct but not having the data sheet specs makes it indeterminable .
fear not however , as I've said , that is only preliminary . They must be set on the engine when warm for best performance anyway. Hope this helps .
please do be careful to NOT crank down on the screws when seating them when turning in upon counting turns . That will cause damage . Use restraint .
When the screw stops turning , it's seated . Just like a hot and cold faucet , if we continue to crank them in hard , we will have to replace the washers .
If damage occurs to these screws , they are supposed to be replaced . But the damage to the carb seats is a bigger problem . Please use restraint .

Last edited:
Good advice Greg. Most carb idle screws are 1-1/2 turns from seated. Fine adjustments from there. If best idle (fully warmed up) cannot be obtained close to 1-1/2 turns, sort other problem(s) and try again. Don't make mistake of using idle mixture screws to compensate for other problems...;-(

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Back