whisiling at me

mobob

I gots me another little problem and a question about my 01 tj, when I'm goin down the road and let off the gas I hear a whissel, Id say its a vacuum leak but it quits when I jump out to try to find it, any thoughts? now for the question, on the driverside fender under the hood there is a square box that has vacume lines goin to it, Id say its a vacuum box, and toward the front of it is a valve ? the top is round and has lines goin to it, when ideling you can hear and feel it clicking, is it supost to do that and what does it do? thanks bob

Yes

The whistling is a leak at your throttle body. It stops because the vac goes below the draw needed for it to whistle when you stop. Spacers do this. If you put a TB spacer or have one on it does nothing but cause noises. Take it off and put anew gasket on after you fix the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I gots me another little problem and a question about my 01 tj, when I'm goin down the road and let off the gas I hear a whissel, Id say its a vacuum leak but it quits when I jump out to try to find it, any thoughts? now for the question, on the driverside fender under the hood there is a square box that has vacume lines goin to it, Id say its a vacuum box, and toward the front of it is a valve ? the top is round and has lines goin to it, when ideling you can hear and feel it clicking, is it supost to do that and what does it do? thanks bob

Sent from my D6708 using Jeepz.com mobile app

learned something new

The first carb I rebuilt was for a flathead V8 and it whistled. Never knew the exact cause but a better rebuild kit stopped the whistling. That was my first thought yesterday but I didn't know a throttle body could do the same thing.

Yes anywhere air or gas is moving a whistle sound can be created given the gas velocity and direction in reference to a mechanical shape.

Verify it before changing. Take some TB/carb cleaner or WD40 and with the engine running, slowly spray around the TB base then move to the intake to engine points and any. Vac point. Listen for the RPMs to change. Verify so you find each of the possibilities and don't miss one.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back