Quadtra-trac switch

Lloyd

Hi, I'm Lloyd. New to this forum from central MN. I bought a 1979 CJ7 recently & fixed it up & sold it. Now I'm looking at a 1979 CJ7 w/350 engine & TH400 trans. Haven't bought it yet but was looking it over today. I noticed it has a switch in the glove box labeled Quadra-trac 4 wheel drive. I have attached a picture of it. Can anyone tell me anything about this switch & what to look for if I buy the CJ7? The jeep is in good shape with a fiberglass body & a solid frame, no rust at all. It's missing the rear window which I haven't been able to locate any.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Jeep quadra trac.JPG
    Jeep quadra trac.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 35

I wonder if its still hooked up since the other engine has been swapped. I wonder if they got the amc tcase on the chevy trans?

Its just like a full time/part time 4x4, like a grand cherokee has. One front wheel and opposite rear wheel in normal setting and all four in emergency setting. (I believe i remember that right, a buddy had it in his cj5 when i was army in the mid 90s)

I believe Quadratrac CJ's originally had the t400 transmission so there's a good change that vacuum switch is still active. Should be 3 vacuum lines behind it you can follow to the transfer case.

Check the rear axle, if the differential is offset like the front axle then it's the Quadratrac transfer case. A centered differential will mean some other transfer case was swapped in at the time of the engine swap.

I'd make sure it's a GM 350 as the Quadratrac CJ's had an AMC v8 from the factory.

Yes the t400 was a stock item, and yes it is vacuum operated so if it doesn't function check the vac lines. And the rear axle should be offset as stated.

Thanks for the reply, guys. I'll check it out if I buy the jeep next week.

Bought the Jeep, I think it still has the standard 302 V8 & it has the offset differential. It appears that the quadtra trac shift works but the dash light does not come on. Have to do some wire checking to see if its connected yet.

Back