Noise in my 2000 TJ

JJ'STJ

I have a 2000 TJ 4cyl 5spd when I go in reverse there's a clicking sound my locale mechanic has no idea and wants to take the trany out to see if that's the problem. I don't want to start trouble shooting this and that, hope someone has had the same problem and can give me the answer. :(

might be best to put it on jack stands and put it in reverse and lay under it to pin point the issue.

when I have trouble and clicking noises, it was always something dumb like a rock in a heat shield

Is it a sort of a high frequency dragged out sort of click (more like a "plink") sort of sound ...? With the vehicle completely stopped and your foot HARD on the foot brake, if you go straight to DRIVE after REVERSE, do you hear it again...? And then again when you go back to DRIVE...?

RR

Sent from my ST13 using Tapatalk

Sorry ..."5 speed" stick. Just assumed was an AUTO. Same question applies but from FIRST to REVERSE and back to FIRST...;-)

Sent from my ST13 using Tapatalk

Does it sound like a "popping noise", and does it seem like it's coming from the rear end? Do you hear it in 1st gear if you are making a sharp turn?

When ever you go from forward then to reverse and hear a sound like that its possible you have a bad U Joint in your drive line.... hope this helps

Back