Suspension lift or body lift

JMoring

My sons 97 Wrangler TJ needs new shocks and bump stops. it has a 3 inch lift kit but I don't know if it has a suspension lift or a body lift. How do you tell the difference?

Agree with above. Look at the distance between the frame and body in the rear wheel well. There should be 3/4 in gap,

I certainly hope it's a suspension lift or a mix of 1 in body and 2 in suspension.
Three in body lift is dangerous. Imho.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Curious here, JPNinPA. Why do you think a 3 inch body lift is dangerous (any more so than a 3 inch suspension lift)...?

RR

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

It isnt really but when your off you don't have the articulation so you could end up on your side easier with the body lift only. More suspension, keep the body low, make clearance for tires

Sent from my D6708 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Okay. Makes sense to me. The only drawback, the way that I see it, is that the overall vehicle's center of gravity will be higher with an all suspension lift as opposed to a mixed lift of the same height. This would make it less desirable for stability reasons ON Highway as well as at higher speeds off road.. :-(

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

My jeep handle pretty good. I went spring over and 2 inch body. I want to take the body lift out. If you can manage to get a little more upward travel out of your rig and make clearance for tires. That us your best bet. As far as center of gravity is concerned.

Sent from my D6708 using Jeepz.com mobile app

I think it would be interesting to get a weight breakdown between the chassis and and interior components as compared to the drive line and frame. I suspect the majority of the weight is in the drive line and frame of the vehicle thereby making the focus of better CG keeping the frame lower... RR

Curious here, JPNinPA. Why do you think a 3 inch body lift is dangerous (any more so than a 3 inch suspension lift)...?

RR

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

First consideration is linkages and pedals(older vehicles)... The possibilities for binding or not having the clearances for the through getting knocked out of gear...

Second is the amount of torque put on the longer bolts and frame...needed to hold the body and frame together. There is a larger potential for the body to actually move on the frame and over time breaking a bolt. Especially when braking.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Edit: didn't mention I agree with the articulation and COG leafing to rollover when rock crawling or sharp turns.

Last edited:

I think it would be interesting to get a weight breakdown between the chassis and and interior components as compared to the drive line and frame. I suspect the majority of the weight is in the drive line and frame of the vehicle thereby making the focus of better CG keeping the frame lower... RR

Like this?like this?

IMG_1836.JPG

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
My sons 97 Wrangler TJ needs new shocks and bump stops. it has a 3 inch lift kit but I don't know if it has a suspension lift or a body lift. How do you tell the difference?

First is to find if you have a body lift or not. In this picture, the body lift is the dark black piece. It's actually a spacer that sits on top of your factory body mounts

15739d1461006629t-terrymason-s-2005-jeep-tj-build-06-body-mount-place-terrymason-jeep-wrangler-t.jpg

If you only have a body lift, then you can buy stock shocks. If you have a suspension lift, then you should buy shocks and bump stops made for a 3 inch suspension lift.

I run Rough Country shocks, just because they were cheap, and I'm happy with them.
Shocks & Struts | Rough Country Suspension Systems®
There are plenty of other brands out there, so read a bit before you buy.

Back