1993 YJ lift kit suggestions!?!?!?!?

RichardSavage

Will a Rough Country lift help with it feeling like I'm riding on a go kart with no suspension?
Been researching brands and have seen 50 50 reviews on them
I will be doing occasional light mud slinging but its my daily so I want a nice ride, anything has to be better than the antique shocks and leaves. I just don't want to have it sag in a year or two and have to do it over or buy new.
I will invest in a more expensive kit if absolutely necessary but that'd be pretty much my entire project budget.
I'm looking at the 4" Rough Country w/ military wrapped leaves
For $450-550 I believe. I just can't justify buying a $800-1200 kit to do the same thing if its not twice as good ya know?
Thank any and all for any suggestions or input!
I finally have a wrangler and I want to do it up right but on a budgetish.
I boought it for $1850 with a 2.5l 4x4 5 speed manual with 128k miles. Solid frame, minimal rot. Sat in his garage for the last ten years barely driven. I stole it from him since he was asking $3500! Think I did alright?

I will be doing a thread on the build when I decide on a kit and get the parts. I'll include a link here, should be in the next couple weeks

Look at mine under Browse/technical forums/jeep builds/ 78 cj7 back in 2009. It's probably about 5th from the top of list. Leaf spring over axle. It will give you some good ideas. If your staying with leafs, I stayed with leafs. It's way less money. There is a list of stuff I did you could improve on some. Pete

Sent from my D6708 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
I'm looking to stick with 31's with a 3-4 1/2" kit. My shovks and leaves are shot. I guess I'm more or less asking if going with a rough country kit will have a less stiff ride and the kit is half the price and includes nearly everything to lift as compared to kits who lack multiple components

Google reviews for that kit. You font want stiff. It will bounce you all over. The yj Springs were generally softer than cj. Do some research there are a lot of options

Sent from my D6708 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Look into BDS kits (big dicks suspension). Great springs and they have a no fine print life time guarantee. I bent a spring in a non off road accident and they replaced it with no questions, just returned the bent one and they sent a new one. ride good, flex good, does take a little while to break them in.

Pretty much anything will be better than what's goin on now. I've read a lot of reviews and just wants some opinions from others. I really like the OME kits but my budget doesn't allow for a kit above $6-700. Think I'll be ordering a RC lift here this upcoming week. Any suggestions on what else I will need? Thinking of getting a steering stabilizing system if it's not included and I shouldn't need a SYE with the TC drop right?

Pretty much anything will be better than what's goin on now. I've read a lot of reviews and just wants some opinions from others. I really like the OME kits but my budget doesn't allow for a kit above $6-700. Think I'll be ordering a RC lift here this upcoming week. Any suggestions on what else I will need? Thinking of getting a steering stabilizing system if it's not included and I shouldn't need a SYE with the TC drop right?

Rough Country will be 'ok' but their shocks tend to run a little stiff. If you go with that kit consider upgrading the shocks to some good shocks like Bilstein 5100 or 5125. Run locking nuts on all the spring and shackle bushings so you don't overtighten them causing a stiff ride.

You can run without the rear trackbar, and many run without the front trackbar as well. You won't notice the rear trackbar gone, but many notice it without the front, try it and see what you like.

I never had a problem with rough country on a Cherokee but I always liked old man emu so I got them for my yj. it rode a lot smoother on the ome than on stock and it added the 2" that were claimed.

Back