Vibration after lifting

skirtblower

My 04 TJ developed a nasty vibration after a 4" lift was installed. Anyone have experience with CV driveshafts solving the problem?

Likely front or rear pinion angle. Make sure the rear axle pinion is still parallel with the transfer case output.

The front axle pinion should be inline with the front driveshaft. This is sometimes difficult to do while maintaining decent caster in the front axle. It's usually a compromise between caster and pinion angle.

Remove the rear driveshaft and drive around in 4x4 and see if the vibes go away. They did in my case (2.5" lift). At that point you know for sure that it's your rear shaft.

Assuming it's the rear shaft:
You'll need adjustable rear control arms, so you could buy some at this point (either uppers, or lowers, or all 4). and try to adjust your pinion angle. Here is a great post going over that:
https://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/23524-4-lift-yj-crazy-vibrations-now.html#post190176

If you go down the CV driveshaft route:
I bought this mega-short SYE, but any SYE will work. Instead of buying a prefab driveshaft, Use the front driveshaft from a XJ or TJ, and have a driveline shop cut that down to the proper size. I think I spent $80 for the shaft, cutting, and balancing.

Common problem but not always a common solution. It's generally an issue with the drive shaft angles as others have discussed. With that much lift, a slip yoke eliminator and longer drive shaft are almost always needed, and if done correctly, you can get rid of that 1.5" drop.

Also, make sure it is a drive line issue and not death wobble which is typically a front end issue.

Mines got quite a bit of lift. Cv are small. I need get rear axle further back but I don't get much vibration.

Sent from my D6708 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Yes. By installing cv. Drive saft you'll eliminate whole bunch of existing and coming problems. Experience talks. You have to probably change transfer case end also. Cv. Drive saft, correct pinion angle with wedge shims plus make sure that your steering linkage angles are correct . should be pleasant ride. I'll try to find papee work from where I ordered mine. Great prices and fast service.

Back