YJ Transfer Case Nutsert Install Questions

RichardSavage

Alright so the last thing I have to do to finish up my lift kit now is to replace the nutserts in the frame to hold the transfer case cross-member.
Three questions-
One - Am I more likely to damage the holes in the frame to get the old nutserts out by torching them out or by cutting and grinding them out? I spent $35 swapping acetylene tanks today so I have them just in case...

Two - How can I keep the transmission and transfer case in place so it doesn't shift and make it a nightmare to put the crossmember back in without having any issues with cross-threading or not even getting them lined up. After I broke the two bolts on the one side off, I went to the other side, heated them up and took the bolts out (less one since it was spinning) and went to install the drop tube and the bolts wouldn't line up. It was an absolute nightmare to get them in and I just want to avoid that problem of possible when doing the nutserts.

Three - Do I have to trim anything to ensure proper gear changing ( 2nd, 4th, and reverse primarily) Pretty sure I read somewhere that trimming of some metal under the shift arm boot was sometimes required

As always thanks to anyone and everyone for all the help

Well, you have a problem.. been through it in the past and its no fun. did it on a 79 cj which has a boxed frame as yours. I was advised to cut a small square out of the frame next to the nutsert in the side of the frame. Once the cut out is made you can get a wrench in there and take the bolt out, then either weld a new one in or just put a regular nut in there and use the wrench, problem with that is you will never get the bolt out again without putting a wrench on it, so I would weld it back in place. Then weld your cut out in the frame back up.. Good luck and hopefully someone has a better way.

Well I ordered the nutserts through black magic brakes. They should be here in a couple days. He has a helluva write up on the install. I'm just hoping I can grind the old ones out without any issues. I did fill the tanks on the torches if I've gotta burn 'em out

Back