Front axle rotates when backing up and braking

Green Acres

Help - Front axle rotates when backing up and hitting brake? Only when backing up, not forward. Drives like an old jeep and no weird noises other than an old Jeep:lol: Any Ideas. EDIT to add upper and lower bushings replaced last November.

Last edited:
Found the fix - Don't use brakes when backing up. Thanks!

:shock:

I think you're on the right track with the bushings. Here are a few questions

-I see you have a lift. Are you using the factory control arms, or aftermarket?
-when you replace the bushings, did you do both sets of bushings on each arm (both axle and frame side, for a total of 8 bushings)?

Ditto - control arms are there to hold the axel angle and front to back position.
Did you change the axel bushing? That's a hard one to change. Do you see movement in the bushings? Are the bolts the correct size for the center of the bushing?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Thanks for all the responses, sorry have been out of pocket since posting.

Terry, Correction - they did not replace bushings, thought they did when they replaced all ball joints - upper and lower. I am the 2nd owner and they are factory control arms. and you are correct - 2001 TJ.

JPNinPA, don't see movement in bushings but it was dusk and have not had a chance to check in daylight, with factory control arms i would hope they are correct but who knows on this old Jeep :)

I had death wobble until I had a Rough country trackbar and dual shock steering stabilizer installed by local off road shop in town. That took care of it but trackbar bracket they used on drivers side will not stay tight. I had to put in shop with main mechanic for fuel injector issues and when I brought it home that's when I noticed it, they tightened the bracket but still does it???

What is "it"??? Death wobble? Or axel rotating?

Death wobble is an oscillation in the wheels that is allowed due to alignment issues or warn parts. Left uncorrected long enough many steering/alignment components can go bad/fail. Steering Stabilizers do nothing for death wobble. The track bar will minimize or stop the oscellation but you still need to correct all the worn parts and get a proper alignment. Without that death wobble will return due to the failure of the track bar bushing wearing out from all the other bad components.
To find all bad components do a dry steer test. Also include checking ball joints, wheel bearings. And control arms.

It really sounds like the control arms are shot. Left alone your new ball joints may be short lived as well as your tires.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
I said I "HAD" Death Wobble until I had the off road shop put those on, that was 5,000 miles ago. It is Axle rotating as thread title states. Thanks.

Hmm, axle rotating when backing and hitting brakes? Like it rotates a bunch? Since you have control arms and coil springs, it should not rotate too much. A little is expected but not a lot

Back