90 YJ Rear Axle dilemma

rich060685

I have recently gotten a 1990 Wrangler YJ as partial trade for a cherokee i'd owned. The guy had told me that the rear gears were bad but failed to tell me that rebuild was not an option since he got welder happy inside the housing and by the flange. My problem is there is nothing in my area at any salvage yards besides a 97 Wrangler. The question I have is will that rear axle bolt in directly on my 90? I've heard there is a difference in width on the axles? Not sure i've read anything that tells me this. Maybe you guys can gimme some better information than what I've been able to find online searching myself.

Thanks for takin time to check this out.

You can use a ford explorer rear end and you will gain disk brakes, also. Make sure to get the same ratio, or get a 4.10 with limited slip and then swap the front from a 4 banger wrangler in the future

You can use a ford explorer rear end and you will gain disk brakes, also. Make sure to get the same ratio, or get a 4.10 with limited slip and then swap the front from a 4 banger wrangler in the future

Yea closest thing I have to that to my leisure is a 98 ranger rearend and they're different. The spring mounts are in close enough position but the shock mounts are 6 inches off. Hard to find parts in my area since I live literally smack dab in the middle of where everyone goes to bogs and such and they break stuff all the time. So it gets sucked up with a quickness haha.

Find out the existing gear ratio before you buy anything. It's alot easier and cheaper to buy one setup the way you want than it is to regear an axle.

Yea I thought so too... Til they told me their price lol. For
$600 it's not worth it when for 50 more I can buy a brand new one.

Find out the existing gear ratio before you buy anything. It's alot easier and cheaper to buy one setup the way you want than it is to regear an axle.

It's stock 3.07. I'm just looking for another stock 3.07 to get it rolling again. Later on down the road i'll beef it up with some 1 ton chevy's or something of the sort. Just need to be able to move it around when need be.

Back