Mystery Diagnosis: 95 YJ 4.0 AT with non working AC blowing heater fuses!

Jtlinn

Hey jeepers you guys helped me out some time ago and I'm back with another mystery to solve!

I've owned the jeep for a little over a year and the AC has never worked. The factory lighter has never worked. The heater supposedly worked at one time. Previous owner installed aftermarket lighter that worked. I replaced the heater blower motor, core, and resistor recently.

I was pointed in the direction of the C201 connector as a possible problem. So, ...

1. I was unable to get the fuseblock away from the connection C201 harness under the dash so I thought about rolling the dice and adding fresh dielectric grease and slapping C201 back together. I wanted to check behind it but I cant get one of the bolts removed and don't want to mess it up any further if everything is ok behind it anyway.

2. I noticed the heater fuse is just a tad "looser", not loose but not super tight like the others. Does this matter? I was told to use a tiny bit of aluminum foil on the prongs to make it tighter if need be. That worries me...any thoughts?

3. The original cigarette lighter beside the ash tray never worked, hence why the previous owner may have installed an extra aftermarket lighter where they did. The new lighter did work. Upon inspecting the old lighter there were slices in the red sheathing that ran to the back of it. In looking at the electrical diagrams, it appears the heater, a/c, and lighter are all on a similar circuit. Could this be heart of the issue? So the original lighter is not working, I get nothing from the a/c (which is fine for now), and the heater fuse blows when the key is turned to the second notch. Apparently the lighter wont be "hot" until its in that position either.

4. Here's my final dilemma. The wire that goes to the heater off, low, med, high blower control has 4 wires. Dark green, tan/black, light green, and tan...ALSO there are black and red...these are the black and red wires that now go to the aftermarket lighter!!!!! Where should these black and red wires originally go? I was told the heater worked when I bought it and the a/c didn't work. The aftermarket lighter worked but the original lighter didn't work.

5. Finally the vacuum lines on the back of the heater control panel appears to have 3 holes. I think one has a green hose and the other black. Is there another that's missing or any thoughts on this?

I will attach some pics for reference. Thank you in advance for all the direction with this Jeep mystery! Can we solve it???

Attachments

• FE58542A-6AEF-470A-9E44-7383C79AE90D.JPG
    FE58542A-6AEF-470A-9E44-7383C79AE90D.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 883
  • IMG_3934.JPG
    IMG_3934.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_3943.JPG
    IMG_3943.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_3948.JPG
    IMG_3948.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 926
  • IMG_3955.JPG
    IMG_3955.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_3958.JPG
    IMG_3958.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_3967.JPG
    IMG_3967.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_3972.JPG
    IMG_3972.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_3971.JPG
    IMG_3971.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 233

That connector in one of your photos looks pretty rough!

I'd start by getting a factory service manual. You can pick one up on ebay for <$10
wrangler factory service manual 1995 | eBay

Then I'd go about tracing the wires. I'd guess that you have a short to ground somewhere, since your fuse blows as soon as you give it power.

Try checking for continuity from the fuse block to each 12volt power line, and see if you can find one that's not working.

Back