Things to look for on my CJ-7

skipdunning

Hey Everyone.
I just purchased a 1984 CJ7 and was hoping I could get some insight as to what to look for as far as potential repairs.
The Jeep has 109k miles (on the odometer anyway) and has had some exhaust and front end work done previously. In Maine, we have a strict inspection procedure and the Jeep was last inspected in November of 2014 so it would have expired in 2015. The owner drove it for about 5 months before he took ill and passed away. This has been sitting since then.

Any pointers on what may need replacing/checking on this particular year CJ?

Thanks for any insight!

Re: Things to look for

Hey Everyone.
I just purchased a 1984 CJ7 and was hoping I could get some insight as to what to look for as far as potential repairs.
The Jeep has 109k miles (on the odometer anyway) and has had some exhaust and front end work done previously. In Maine, we have a strict inspection procedure and the Jeep was last inspected in November of 2014 so it would have expired in 2015. The owner drove it for about 5 months before he took ill and passed away. This has been sitting since then.

Any pointers on what may need replacing/checking on this particular year CJ?

Thanks for any insight!

Hey there! I rebuilt a couple CJ's one of which being a 1985 CJ7 and I found through my searching for a project, that the main things to look for were certain areas on the tub. I would focus mainly on the underside of the rear wheel wells, the floor pans, and around the areas where the roll bar bolts to the tub. Other than that dirt and water can get stuck along the sides underneath the door area. Being from Maine, salty road in the winter may have caused things to rust a bit worse, but I am suspecting not because you said that it was last inspected only a couple years ago! Please let me know if you need any help or have any other questions! These Jeeps are awesome and very fun to work on! Good Luck!!

Re: Things to look for

Agree that rust can be a big factor....check the frame especially the rear. Another common issue is the Stop/Tail/Turn Lights...rust can cause faulty grounds which creates all kind of havoc.
Overall our CJ7 sounds like a winner. Some pictures would be appreciated.

IMG_20161214_120626901.jpeg. Howdy fellow CJ owner. This is my 1981 CJ7 I agree with the other comments you have gotten. The frame can be a major rust issue. And the tub . Going on 3 summers ago I pulled mine apart. It had aluminum deck plate bolted down on rear fender wells. The previous owners idea of a fix. The entire fender well was rotted out above the tire where the rocks , gravel ,salt dirt and mud collect. Had to weld in replacement metal panels. I also turned tub upside-down and wired brushed the heck out of it then brushed and rolled on Hurculiner on entire tub, the fire wall and the did the entire inside of the tub as well. Turned out great and should help protect it alot. Good luck ! Got any questions you think I may be able to help with feel free to ask . Safe Jeeping best of all have fun and don't get discouraged. When I first bought mine a guy at 4wheel parts told me Jeep stands for just empty every pocket. He was not far off but I have owned mine for 6+ years and love it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Jeepz.com mobile app

UPDATE:

The old girl took a new sticker!

Thank you all for your insight, I'll be doing some body mending when the weather gets a little better. I purchased a hard top which had the rear window in place (mine was missing) and am in the process of getting that all together. It was a harrowing ride bringing it home as I've never driven a Jeep with 32's and apparently I didn't have quite enough air in the tires.

I'll be doing some tuneup work and will be happy to post photos of the body work progress. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Jeep 1.jpg
    Jeep 1.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Jeep 2.jpg
    Jeep 2.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 249
  • Jeep 3.jpg
    Jeep 3.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Skip ... things to do on your "new" ride: upgrade the carb, HEI ignition, 1-piece rear axles. If rust is an issue, then suspension, u-joints, brake lines & body mounting must be looked at ... cosmetic rust is a whole nuther deal. I did these things on my 1983 CJ ... over the years my Jeep has had almost everything replaced or rebuilt, either thru necessity or just for fun.

I would be proud to own that Jeep ! looks like you have a little rust to stop on your doors. Your thread makes me want to get another CJ someday soon. Thanks:driving:

Back