1988 YJ engine sputtering

YJ-BLAKE

i have a jeep wrangler 2.5 liter with around 140,000 miles on it. the problem is when i try to accelerate my engine seems to sputter and hesitate for a few seconds. it loses lots of acceleration and it sounds like popping or a bubbling, and a very harsh exhaust smell is noticeable when it happens. my emissions maintenance light has been on since i got it, witch leads me to believe that it could be o2 sensor? but i am not 100% sure.

i just recently bought it and i have replaced thermostat, motor mounts, and valve cover gasket.

I would start with the basics tune up and fuel filter rotor and cap. If it still persists is it fuel injected or carberated. Also could be fuel pump issues.

Jeep! not just a vehicle a way of life.

I would start with the basics tune up and fuel filter rotor and cap. If it still persists is it fuel injected or carberated. Also could be fuel pump issues.

the cap was recently replaced i've done mostly everything for a complete tune up besides plugs and wires witch im doing today. its fuel injected by the way.

Agree. Check for a blocked exhaust or CAT.

Describe the foul exhaust smell? Any color to it?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

how to i check for a blocked cat. when it sputters it usually blows out a puff of white smoke. i have a slight leak of exhaust into the cab but it gets waaay worse when the engine sputters.

Thank you

how to i check for a blocked cat. when it sputters it usually blows out a puff of white smoke. i have a slight leak of exhaust into the cab but it gets waaay worse when the engine sputters.

Thank you

Easiest is remove the upstream sensor from the exhaust leaving a hole. See if the problem persists with less restriction.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

If it seems to be running rich..causing the fuel smell in the exhaust I would look into spark or air flow. Make sure nothing is clogged in the air box and air filter is clean. Could also be a bad mass air flow sensor.

If it seems to be running rich..causing the fuel smell in the exhaust I would look into spark or air flow. Make sure nothing is clogged in the air box and air filter is clean. Could also be a bad mass air flow sensor.

Alright thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Update!!!!! Clean Spark plugs are a huge plus
b7feaf6642e5b0f3fffdf3fd3f7a1596-1.jpg

Wow. Little buildup there...you think!

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Update!!!!! Clean Spark plugs are a huge plus

I've never seen a sparkplug look like that. What exactly is that stuff - is it carbon? Would that be a symptom of a larger problem, or just "deferred maintenance"?

It burns a bit of oil every here and there that's what I think it's from. But I don't think the original owner ever replaced them to be honest. I've had new ones for a month or so now and they haven't gotten nearly that bad

White buildup is usually from additives. It could be small oil or coolant leak. If you note the buildup is in the gap. Where ever that gap was facing is where the problem lies.
If it were burning oil like blow by the plug would be black sooty or sticky.

reading_spark_plugs-1.jpg

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Back