Possible Fuel Pump Issues?

BackwoodsBarbie

I've got a 1995 YJ. I drove it last week. And it wouldn't idol smoothly.....idols up and down and acts like it wants to cut off. Once I got it going, the throttle wasn't consistent. My assumptions is the fuel pump. My question is do you think my assumptions are correct? Also, before dropping the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump, is there some kind of fuel treatment that may help or possibly resolve this issue? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Is it throwing any codes?

To extract the diagnostic trouble codes, perform the following steps:

Without starting the engine, turn the ignition key ON, OFF, ON, OFF and ON. The CHECK ENGINE light on the dash will begin to flash.

If any trouble codes are stored in the PCM memory, the CHECK ENGINE light will flash the number of the first digit, pause and flash the number of the second digit. For example, Code 23, air temperature sensor circuit would be indicated by two flashes, pause three flashes. A long pause will appear between individual codes if more than one code is present. Carefully observe the flashes and record the exact code number(s) onto paper.

After the stored codes have been indicated (or if everything in the self diagnosis system is functioning properly), the CHECK ENGINE light will flash a Code 55.

If the ignition key is turned OFF during the code extraction process and possibly turned back ON, the self diagnostic system will automatically invalidate the procedure and must be restarted

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Jeepz.com mobile app

Clean your TB and IAC. There is a good write up on cleaning if you need. Also clean the battery terminals and connectors. Clean the opposite ends of the grounds and power.
Check air filter.
Verify spark
Read codes as mentioned

Also check your TPS connection.
JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
If you are able - check the fuel pressure. If it's been a long time or you don't remember when the fuel filter was replaced - change it.

you didn't happen to say which motor / transmission combination you have?

Back