What is so wrong with 12k miles per year???

Bryans

Hey all, so I'm selling my 98 tj. 4.0, 5 spd tons of upgrades. It has 220k miles. It's listed on cl but everyone is so hung up on the mileage. At any price. A great and totally dependable jeep. I drive it everywhere and it's never left me stranded...
I'm wondering what other jeep OWNERS think of 220k miles on a 98. The people looking don't have any experience with jeeps...

220k for a 98 is under 12k per year.

What do you all think?

Thanks

People are still living in the 80's. Mileage really means nothing now a days. Even if it does need some love, that is expected. I just did a hub assembly on girlfriends Yukon. About an hour and $65 and done. If you own a Jeep, you love a Jeep.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nothing is wrong with 220,000 mi jeep if maintained and properly repaired. It may depend on your asking price and the condition of the frame and tub.
Despite all the upgrades and sunken costs, if the base vehicle is in bad shape, your just selling upgrades. Not a jeep.
Also, most jeeps with lots of trail upgrades usually do not have high miles, because, they are...trail only. Some owners don't use them as DD cause the guzzle gas and good trail tires are expensive to wear out on the pavement. So for some upgraded trail ready jeep with high miles could be viewed as an outlier.

But there there could be nothing wrong with a 220,000 mi jeep.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Yeah what I thought... jeep is well maintained and all r he's guys are doing this shito over text. So stupid...I'm asking 10k obo. No rust no problems and runs like a top...the upgrades were done because old suspension was worn out and the rad leaked so I got an alum and electric fan instead...

10k for a 98 could be the issue. it would have to be a super low mileage clean stock jeep for me to look at it for 10k. that's a bunch of money and for 5k more, we bought a 4 door 07, 4 or 5 years ago. when it was only 7 or 8 years old.

but, price depends on where you live. if people are paying that tjs, your price might be dead on.

I agree, not saying your jeep isn't worth $10k with all the modifications but it will severely limit how many will be interested!

Yeah for my area 10k is high. I just bought a 98 with 140k miles all stock 4 cylinder for 4k. With the mods I want will cost me about 2k for lift tires and bumpers but even then I am only 6k in with all new parts . I understand yours is a 4.0 which I did look at a lot of them in my area with kids they where going for 6-8k and all under 200k miles.

Jeep! not just a vehicle a way of life.

Yeah, I sold.it for 8300 no hard top. Kid didn't want it.for an extra 500 or 600?? Ok....dude.
Now.I have a grey factory hardtop for sale if anyone is so Cal is looking.
Also have the explorer 8.8 disc available too

Depending on the top condition any where from 500 to 1000 is about normal for my area.

Jeep! not just a vehicle a way of life.

Hey all, so I'm selling my 98 tj. 4.0, 5 spd tons of upgrades. It has 220k miles. It's listed on cl but everyone is so hung up on the mileage. At any price. A great and totally dependable jeep. I drive it everywhere and it's never left me stranded...
I'm wondering what other jeep OWNERS think of 220k miles on a 98. The people looking don't have any experience with jeeps...

220k for a 98 is under 12k per year.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Hi Bryan - - -

A lot would depend on your documentation and maintenance records for the Jeep:
1) Were those 12k miles/year largely gentle slow-speed road miles, or off-road bump and slam miles?
2) What kind of oils did you use? (Like "Mobil 1" in engine, trans, and diff's) How often changed?
3) Was the Jeep ever used as tow vehicle? Towing what and how heavy?
4) What exactly are your upgrades, and how much did they tax the drivetrain?
(e.g., If you went to >35's on tires, did you go to a numerically higher ratio on the diff's?)
5) Was the Jeep ever immersed over its axles in water, like streams?
6) Where do you live? (like a cold northern state?); and was the Jeep exposed to road salt and corrosion?
7) Are you willing to pay for a certified professional mechanic to check it out? (like cylinder compression, etc)
8) What is the condition of the soft top? (assuming it's a soft-top.)
9) When were the ignition wiring, spark plugs, alternator, starting motor, and battery changed last?
10) Does the 5-speed pop out of gear on certain shifts?
11) Are you willing to give any prospective buyer 15-20 detailed photos in, under, and all around the Jeep?
12) Was the Jeep ever in an accident? What type, and how fixed?

How much were you asking for this Jeep?
Remember what your competition is: perhaps a guy with a 2008 Wrangler JK with 120K miles going for about $12-$15K (depending)...

===============================

Last edited:

the big thing that is being negelcted with "average" miles per year is the jeep is still almost 20 model years old, and like it or not, an old vehicle is subject to old vehicle issues, various components age driven or not, 220K on a ten year old vehicle is a lot less than the same mileage on a 20 year old vehicle. Too many people think they have gold when its only brass.

True

To add, the 10 or 20 yr old vehicles no matter the mileage can have bad ball joints, wheel bearings, calipers... that go bad just from sitting. While some are easily replaced they aren't free.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Back