Turbogus is offline Senior Member

Master Cylinder lid leaks

Hi gang,
    Now that the Speedometer project is nearing completion (along with fine tuning the carburator) I've had a small leak from the lid of the power brake M/C. I've replaced the lid and gasket once and verified flatness of the surface of the top of the M/C.
    Still a small leak persists. I'd hate to hassle in a new M/C if this issue can be addressed.

Has anyone else encountered this?
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

JPNinPA is offline Senior Member

Re: Master Cylinder lid leaks

Thinking about this. If you have the old style metal lid held by the flip over spring clip,Or a newer screw on plastic type and it leaks.. How is the fluid getting pressurized to leak out? I could see general sloshing around with a loose lid leaking but if it shows a seal the only way s pressure or expansion. Does your lines run near the exhaust or is the master cylinder in a hot zone?

Second do you know it is the lid?

Regards,
    JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

Turbogus is offline Senior Member

Re: Master Cylinder lid leaks

Thanks for your quick response JPN, BB has the old style metal lid held by the flip over spring clip. I replaced the lid once (came with gasket) but I'm afraid it may have been a miC (made in China) part, and after the debacle I had at NAPA with a thermostat cover it wouldn't surprise me if the casting of the lid is slightly off. The Master Cylinder is right above the steering column on this '78, and as the lines they appear stock and are routed far enough away from the motor and headers. When I get home tonight I'll take a photo and post.
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).