Drive shafts and control arms

mmello13

Looking into getting aftermarket driveshaft and control arms. Just trying to figure out what is needed first. Should I get the front or rear control arms or front or rear driveshaft first? There is a lot of front end shimmy. I have a 4 in lift and the control arm drop brackets. Looking to finally upgrade the components that hold my axle on though lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

What year / type of Jeep are we talking about?

To answer your question, if you get longer control arms, then you'll move the axle farther away from the transfer case (changing the length of the driveshaft needed). I'd do the control arms first.

Having said that, are you sure that your front driveshaft is causing your shimmy? The simple test for this is to remove your front driveshaft, and drive around. You can then replace the front shaft and remove the rear and do the same test. Again, this depends on the model Jeep you have - some of them you can't pull the shaft and drive around, but on my TJ you can.

I replaced the rear driveshaft in my TJ with the front driveshaft from an XJ. I had a driveshaft shop cut it down and balance it for me - I think all told I have less than $100 in it, and it's at the exact length I need.

So if I do the control arms will I still be ok to drive with the stock driveshaft?

What type of Jeep do you have?

You'll likely be OK on the street, what I've seen happen is that the first time you offroad and flex out a bit your driveshaft will separate.

I wouldn't be using control arm drop brackets on a TJ. I'd remove them and run adjustable control arms.

Adjust the lower arms so your wheelbase is back to stock length and the wheels are centered in the wheel wells.

Adjust the rear upper arms so the rear pinion angle is parallel with the transfer case output.

Adjust the front upper arms to find a good compromise between caster and pinion angle. Ideally the front pinion should be parallel with the driveshaft, but you have to give up a little angle to get decent caster.

I have a jku. I was thinking of just getting both control arms and driveshaft for the rear then do the same on the front the next time I have money. Or should I do front first then rear?

Back