Thread: battery

mandarrin is offline Senior Member

ok.i got a new alternator.i have to jump start my jeep and it stays on,but if i turn the lights on than the battery neddle starts going down.the car stays on for a long time.i already charge the battery one time,but i didn't have a new alternator.does anyone what this could be or any adeas.please help.thanks

89 square 4 banger 2" up

[addsig]

Jeeper89 is offline Senior Member

get a volt meter and start ur jeep and see if there is approx 14V going to the battery, if not then there is something messed up from ur alt. to ur battery, check all the wires, and then check ur alt. but if i understood right then u have a new on on there and if none of thoes work then i could tell ya :-D [addsig]
    "I have a '96 Jeep Wrangler at home in the garage, because I am doing a V8 swap"---Some Guy
    "You mean a '95 Wrangler"---Me
    "No man a '96 Wrangler"---Some Guy
    A random conversation I had with a man while i was in line buying parts at Auto Zone.

TommyJeep is offline Junior Member

Your new alternator should be charging your battery. If you don't see 14v on the volt meter, take your battery to Pep Boys, or Sears, or somewhere they can test it. They'll do a load test to see if the battery is functioning under load. They can also hook it up to a quick charger and see if it'll accept a charge. If the battery is OK, and the alternator is brand new, I'd start checking fuses and wiring.[addsig]

mandarrin is offline Senior Member

thanks guys my battery has 6 months warranty and my volt meter is only reading 8 or lower so i'm going to go ahead a change my battery for a new one because i already charge this batt one time.thanks i let you guys know what happens.

also if anyone knows some whos selling a rear drive shaft for 2.5L 89 ax5 transmission jeep wrangler please email me at dgpena@aaaqa.com

thanks,david[addsig]

firemanharry is offline Senior Member

Just because an alternator is new, doesn't mean that it's good. It doesn't happen very often, but it is something to keep in mind.[addsig]

Snitty is offline Senior Member

very correct... my buddy just got a new alternator... and she was no good.... that goes with any part... new doesn't mean good... but for the most part, new stuff is good[addsig]
    93 YJ 4.0
    Spring Over, 33x12.50 Mastercraft Courser M/T, High Flow Exhaust, Diamondplate Rear Bumper, Trimmed Flares, 6\" spotters

We, the Sovereign People of the Universe, wish to live in peace. We live among you, but we are not of you.

jprtroy is offline Senior Member

Yep, alt or battery! Look at your battery connections! Is there a lot of that whitygreenish powder build-up all over the POS battery post? Make positivly sure you have a solid ground connection. If that's poor, or the POS connection is poor, no amount of new alternators will work! If the juice can't get to the battery, it'll die!
    If those are in fact ok, and your not getting the 14vdc then the regulator in the alternator is probably on vacation.

Good luck, keep us informed as to what was up

[addsig]

carriss is offline Senior Member

This is so Cool----->[addsig]

K_K_PSI_GUY is offline Senior Member

If your battery is not fully charged, then it may just need a good charge for it to work, but then again if the battery was a tad weak, your old alternator may have killed it. Thank goodness for warranties. That is why I get most of my stuff at Autozone. They may not be as good parts as the dealer, but they will prettymuch take anything back. Did you all know that they take your used brake pads back (if you bought them there), as long as they aren't worn all the way to the metal part. That's kewl.[addsig]