Gas gauge question

xt master

My has gauge seems to work properly but something has to be wrong. I can fill the tank and the gauge goes to full. Drove it about 200 miles and the gauge is in empty. Stop at the gas station it only took 8 gallons to fill the tank back up. It is a 98 TJ 2.5 liter I thought they had 15 gallon tanks.

Jeep! not just a vehicle a way of life.

My has gauge seems to work properly but something has to be wrong. I can fill the tank and the gauge goes to full. Drove it about 200 miles and the gauge is in empty. Stop at the gas station it only took 8 gallons to fill the tank back up. It is a 98 TJ 2.5 liter I thought they had 15 gallon tanks.

Before we tear into this - lets start with a full tank, reset trip meter, have the system scanned for codes even If CEL off, any other issues? any recent work maybe new fuel pump?

Add a bottle of 'techron' may remove any 'scale' on sender... and its inexpensive.

I did fill the tank and reset odometer also installed my GPS unit and reset all that to make sure Speedo and odometer are accurate also. As far as work no clue I just bought it not long ago and since then have found out the entire Jeep has been repainted inside and out. Even the bottom so tub was off the frame so no clue what else has been done or changed.

I did fill the tank and reset odometer also installed my GPS unit and reset all that to make sure Speedo and odometer are accurate also. As far as work no clue I just bought it not long ago and since then have found out the entire Jeep has been repainted inside and out. Even the bottom so tub was off the frame so no clue what else has been done or changed.

OK you recently acquired vehicle all the more reason to SCAN with a scanner - lets take advantage of that n board diagnotics.

Try the techron - cant hurt.

Ok. A part of the fuel pump is the float that indicates the level. On that float is a variable resistor. They go bad. There is part of the resistor that is grounded. When you hit that region it shows empty until you pass the bad section then it will read properly. Mine does it if I fill it to the top. 5 miles later it reads properly.

The other thing to try us to cycle the dash. I don't know if it workes for all years but if you hold the trip odometer reset and do the key dance each gage and light is cycled through the ranges. This may help but the above is the cause.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

It's possible the float arm was bent when/if the fuel pump was replaced. I suppose you could carry a can of gas and see if you can a good distance further without running out of fuel.

How about a huge dent in the gas tank?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app
I didn't notice and dents it's abs plastic should bounce back even it was hit.

I am watching mileage for now gonna check my MPG and then carry a has can with me once I know the limit I don't mind watching to odometer.

Back