Rear axle

Johny

I recently broke and replaced the rear passenger side axle. When I removed the dif cover, the only thing loose in there was the clip. Everything else was intact. The thing is that now it's been put back together I find it will only drive when 4x4 is engaged. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Before diff removal for rebuild. Could it be ONLY front diff (4x4) is being driven? Spider gears? Pinion?

Tell model year, engine Transfer case type, rear axel series etc and we an add info

Welcome to Jeepz.com!
What year and model of Jeep do you have?
It sounds to me like you're not getting any power to the rear wheels. I'd open up the rear diff and jack up the rear wheels, and see what happens when you spin the tires. Spinning one tire should spin the other, like this (about a minute in):

It's a 92 4.0 6 cyl. It definitely drove in 2 wheel drive before the axle broke. When I initially broke the axle, I could only get it to run after I engaged the 4x4.

The guy who put the dif back together told me to put it in high and drive it, then put in 2 wheel drive. It worked, apparently because it had been stood a while, he said the fluid had to have time to work. I really don't know, but it works fine now.

It doesn't work like that. Your issue was mechanical, not fluid related.

The guy who put the dif back together told me to put it in high and drive it, then put in 2 wheel drive. It worked, apparently because it had been stood a while, he said the fluid had to have time to work. I really don't know, but it works fine now.

It had been stood a while? This thread be not what I understand no way, lol.

Back