Alignment issues

To check ball joints Jack and support the axel. Take a pry bar under the tire and lift while someone looks at the ball joints. There should be no movement in the ball joint.

To check the wheel bearing grab the tire at 3&9 ans rock from 3to9 you should feel no play or clicking.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk
Ok I'll check that this weekend. Thanks. The wobble is really only from 40- about 50 mph. Then there's a body wobble but nothing really on the steering wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

To check ball joints Jack and support the axel. Take a pry bar under the tire and lift while someone looks at the ball joints. There should be no movement in the ball joint.

To check the wheel bearing grab the tire at 3&9 ans rock from 3to9 you should feel no play or clicking.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk
Just put in a new steering damper. For the bilstein gas damper. Worked wonders. Steering is tighter and wobble is almost completely gone. Think I just need it aligned a little bit and then I'll be good. Steering wheel is a little crooked.

mmello33
What made you do that? Steering stabilizers are more for dampening more of bump steer or road oscillation like rutting. Bigger tires make these conditions more pronounced or worse.

Depending on how bad your oscillation is that new stabilizer will be worn in a month or two and you will be posting again.
I'm not saying this to be a jerk. But that is a big mistake. You should be able to run without a stabilizer. Though having one is good. It's not here to fix the issue you have.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

mmello33
What made you do that? Steering stabilizers are more for dampening more of bump steer or road oscillation like rutting. Bigger tires make these conditions more pronounced or worse.

Depending on how bad your oscillation is that new stabilizer will be worn in a month or two and you will be posting again.
I'm not saying this to be a jerk. But that is a big mistake. You should be able to run without a stabilizer. Though having one is good. It's not here to fix the issue you have.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app
The guys at the alignment center said bc the bushing is being pulled it could cause the bounce. And the bushing was warn and it was part of a set up for the dual so I got one meant for a single.

Two questions:
After replacing the dampener what is status of camber issue?
Steering wheel off center - Any lights ABS, STABILITY CONTROL?

Two questions:
After replacing the dampener what is status of camber issue?
Steering wheel off center - Any lights ABS, STABILITY CONTROL?
No lights steering wheel is cocked to the left a little bit and Idk about camber. Damper wouldn't correct any of that except maybe hold the steering wheel tighter. I'm just hoping to mask the problem til I can figure out what's really going on. Haha

The guys at the alignment center said bc the bushing is being pulled it could cause the bounce. And the bushing was warn and it was part of a set up for the dual so I got one meant for a single.

I'm not trying to be mean but they either are taking you over the barrel or they don't know how to identify if fix the issue. In short they sold you a placebo effect and will sell you another in a month. Oh and the existing bushing was shot because of the issue you have.

Find a shop that works on 4x4 vehicles and use them. Even if it means driving two towns over. Also is there an active jeep club near you? If they are experienced and wheel regularly they will know how to identify the issue. Where are you located?

Did they speed or road balance your tires?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I got the sand bags in the tires. There's no 4x4 shop around here otherwise I would have gone to them. I'm from South coast MA. Literally nothing around here. Closest jeep club is Rhode island. About 45 minutes away from me. And I only found out there's a 4x4 STORE about an hour away from me. Believe me if there was a way to figure this out by someone who knew what they were doing I would have done it.

Looked into the sandbag balance. I've never did it. I only rotated the tire on the bead or asked for a different tire. When you get up in the 35-38inch tire and large lug tread, balance becomes an issue.
Consider moving the fronts to the back.

Here are a few things to consider. Some have issues above 40mph
Dyna beads appear to work well.
Some get the bad tire replaced.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/sand-bag-balancing-94706.html#/topics/94706?page=1

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
So pretty much the bags are junk for light vehicles and basically better off with strip weights?

I've never used them. Only tape on weights and crimp on.
What I read is sand didn't work for a few. The others say that the beads may work better.

But yah strip weights have been being used for a long time.

FYI if you need to use Greater than 1% of tire wheel weight in lead weight ask for s new tire.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

I've never used them. Only tape on weights and crimp on.
What I read is sand didn't work for a few. The others say that the beads may work better.

But yah strip weights have been being used for a long time.

FYI if you need to use Greater than 1% of tire wheel weight in lead weight ask for s new tire.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app
Ok thanks for the tip.

Caster should be up in the 7-8º range on a lifted Jeep, but it's a fine balance to tune it in conjunction with the front pinion angle. I agree with the above comment that the front pinion needs to come up, which will help put your caster closer to 7-8º.

A steering stabilizer is a bandaid, a properly set up Jeep can run all day without one. I ran without one on mine with 35" tires, no issues. Their only purpose is to take the shock out of potholes and such in order for steering components to last longer.

Caster should be up in the 7-8º range on a lifted Jeep, but it's a fine balance to tune it in conjunction with the front pinion angle. I agree with the above comment that the front pinion needs to come up, which will help put your caster closer to 7-8º.

A steering stabilizer is a bandaid, a properly set up Jeep can run all day without one. I ran without one on mine with 35" tires, no issues. Their only purpose is to take the shock out of potholes and such in order for steering components to last longer.
Yea I know the purpose for a stabilizer. The one I had was junk anyway. Bushing was shot. Just wish i could figure out the shake. It's really quite aggravating that no shop around here can figure it out.

Yea I know the purpose for a stabilizer. The one I had was junk anyway. Bushing was shot. Just wish i could figure out the shake. It's really quite aggravating that no shop around here can figure it out.

Where in the seat or steering wheel do you feel the shake? Is it worse when accelerating or decelerating? Change at all when letting off the throttle slightly?

Have you tried driving without the front driveshaft?

Where in the seat or steering wheel do you feel the shake? Is it worse when accelerating or decelerating? Change at all when letting off the throttle slightly?

Have you tried driving without the front driveshaft?
Idk what you mean by where in the seat or steering wheel. It's the whole wheel that shakes on occasion from 40-about 55. Then after that the vehicle vibrates. If I accelerate hard i don't usually feel it but if it's a slow acceleration I will feel it. Doesn't change if I let the pedal go. And no I haven't driven without the front driveshaft but it's brand new. Heavy duty one.

Turns put the ball joints for the tie rod and drag link for the high steer kit were adjustable tension ball joints. I just tightened them and steering is tighter and wobble seems to be gone right now. Only drove it once onto the highway and then back roads where the speed was 40 I went 45 and didn't have a wobble. Just need an alignment again.

Wobble came back and I tightened those ball joints too much. Had to loosen them back up a little bit. Haha. Just did my drivers side ball joints today the lower was completely blown. Steering is a little better still pulls a little but less than it was and a slight wobble still remains. Going to do the passenger side in a few days.

Back