76 cj5 tub shot

jams97355

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I searched the forum with no solid conclusion. I am trying to find out what tubs I can use on my 76 cj5. It has a lot of rust and I want to change the tub. What other years will fit on my frame? I'd rather not alter the frame. Thanks in advance. Shane

Any CJ5 tub will fit. The hood & fenders were shorter from 56-71. In "72 they stretched the hood & front fenders, but the tubs dimensions stayed the same.
There's a lot of differing opinions on fiberglass vs steel for replacement tubs, I went with a steel tub from Willys-Overland(repli-tub) on my "78. 2 buddies & I had it bolted on in under an hour without rushing. I've also worked with fiberglass on other Jeeps & there are pros & cons to each. Do our homework before you spend our money.
Lt us know what you decide & as always...Pictures are appreciated! Check out the"Jeep Builds" Forum.

Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm looking for a used steel tub that is in better shape than mine. Don't want to spend too much, it's just a toy. Has the 304 with 3 speed and hard top. 33 inch tires on steel wheels. Bought it cheap. Good winter toy when I get it done. It's stuffed in my small shop so hard to get pictures yet. Also, does the title go with the frame or the body? Thanks again, Shane

20170601_115707_1496343478588.jpg20170601_115724_1496343478505.jpg

I did have a couple pictures when I bought it. Forgot about them.

The title goes with the majority part of the vehicle....in your case that would be the chassis. If you buy a new replacement body, they do not come with a title. If you buy a used body it may or may not have a title & or vin plate depending on the seller.
You kind of have to make the judgment based on what you have.

Not sure where your VIN# is but mine is on the dash plate. I have a 78 I replaced the old dash with aluminum but keep the old dash in safe place

Sent from my D6708 using Jeepz.com mobile app

"76 Vin plate will be on the firewall on the drivers side, just above where the wire harness comes through. It may or may not have another VIN plate on the dash.

Thanks for all the replies. Mine is on the driver side firewall. I will save it when I get a new tub and have it if ever needed.

Aqualu makes Aluminum bodies. BTW, good luck on doing this on the cheap and have it dependable ! lol

Check E-Bay, Craigs List etc...a lot of guys start projects & then give up....good pre-owned but un-used parts are out there, sometime at great prices.

I didn't find a tub so we just started replacing the floors with some .0125 steel I had laying around. About double the original thickness of the stuff we took out. It sits level now. I have a rebuilt 304 to put in it that came with it. That's next. Then just need to replace the front fenders. PO cut the front of them off. I want the full fenders. Wire it up and test drive it. Still cheap if the motor is good.

Got the floors done and the engine in. Looking for a water pump pulley for a 304.
Local part stores don't have them and salvage yards just laugh when you say cj.
Any suggestions where to find one????

Back