Transfer case help!

Carpetguy

Hey all, new here and need help please. I have a 95 wrangler that I'm putting a SYE kit in. Popped t case open after removing and don't that one of the 2 snap rings that retain the keys in synchronizer hub was broken and 2 of the keys had fallen out. So I got a used case from a buddy's Cherokee to get parts from. Opened it up today and there is no synchronizer hub in it! What is going on here? Only difference i know is mine is manual and his was automatic transmission but not sure why that would make an internal difference in t case. Please help here! Can i just use the whole gear assembly off his shaft on my new sye shaft or do i need the synchronizer hub?

Is this the NP231 T' case? - look at ID tag for model th NP242 was possible.

see attachment for a note on NP231 ....

Attachments

• transfer case 231.JPG
    transfer case 231.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 136
  • NP ID TAG with model info.JPG
    NP ID TAG with model info.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 274
lets try this attachment see if it loads NP231manual - scroll to fnd inf

Attachments

• 95XJYJNP231.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 446

After reading your attachment it sounds like my case is the older version. So is it safe to just use the newer gears off the other case in the new shaft and not bother with the synchro?

either gears should fit the new SYE shaft - There was no question which set up (synchro or not) when getting SYE kit. I would go with no synchros.

Newer 231's didn't have the brass synchronzer ring, but they'll interchange just fine.

Email me at bountyhunter AT sija.org if you need more 231 help.

Thanks Bounty hunter! Got it all back together tonight. Going back in jeep this weekend and we'll see how I did! This is my first jeep project so kinda excited! Lol

Back