1997 TJ stalling sputtering and backfiring when warm

I agree with pulling head now - those compression readings were NFG. I am such an optimist always wanting easy fix.

FYI: swapping inj would not confirm #1 is not leaking due to a wiring issue ie grounded driver side . Fuel pressure drop test KOEO.

Well, the TJ is backburnered for the moment, but I found a '97 ZJ 2WD that's got 230k on the clock and a nearly-immaculate interior, for a price I could afford. U-Haul won't rent to soft-top Jeeps, too, so that's solved (and for less than a new hardtop plus whatever head/machine shop work I need on the TJ) and I got a trailer harness plus a trans cooler and mountable aux input for the aftermarket stereo for a total of $80. I'll do the head work on the TJ after I get back from vacation and we'll see if I can resurrect this janky-ass Wrangler and maybe improve its quality of life.

I've busted a lot of knuckles on that Wrangler, and dumped in a lot of money beyond the initial really low purchase price. I paid $4500 for it a year ago and have put pretty much all new suspension bushings :)xthat one on top of the front diff cover), tie rod ends, shocks, all the sensors I mentioned in the beginning of the thread, muffler, cat, and top (rampage trail top ftw), not to mention putting in a mechless head unit and sub/amp and finding someone with a real center console for it and adding a bestop lockbox for some storage. It needs a paint job (desert southwest eats clearcoat if you don't garage it), tires, a windshield, a MAP sensor, and possibly a set of wheel bearings. But after that and this engine repair, I'll pretty much have a new Jeep.

My O2 sensor connection, Weird?
WP_20171030_12_08_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20171030_12_08_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20171030_12_08_46_Pro.jpg

It is probably already mentioned, but I had a similar issues with my TPS, IAC, MAFS, CPS, and the VCC would cause stalling when coming to a stop throughout various jeeps. I also had low fuel pressure that would cause wonky idle and finally dying before the pump finally took a crap '98 Ram. With my XJ the TPS went bad with no code. I would start by making sure all plugs, wires, caps etc. are correct and tight, My 02 died and ran horribly when the plug rail was installed incorrectly. Next I would verify all injectors are firing, may be worth your time running some seafoam through the gas and brake booster hose. If all is good there, I would move onto checking if the vehicle is getting enough fuel through the pressure lines. Next I would verify the vehicle is breathing properly, especially if it is up in the hills, take a gander at the air filter housing and the throttle body to make sure nothing is causing restrictions. If you still are having problems then it may be worth doing a pressure test or block test before pulling the head and see if you have a blown gasket.

I would almost bet it is going to be a fuel delivery or sensor issue. I will say from experience to double check all sensors recieved for correct part number and engine size. I have, on two occasions, been given wrong sensors, 94 xj was given a 2.5l TPS and on my 02 I was give the 2.5l MAF, these will cause your symptoms as well. I usually will either call another store to make sure my parts match, or google them. I am not sure if you mentioned, but are you getting any abnormal noises such as a clatter, knock or anything? or having any mixing of fluids or smoke?

Back