Question: Are Jeeps reliable?

siciliangirl

I have a 2000 JeepWrangler TJ Sport that I bought in 2010. I have never had any major issues withit. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a/c and I moved to Georgia. The engine,according to several mechanics (one being a relative), is in excellentcondition. I was looking to buy something with a/c, a car or Jeep. When lookingat reliable brands, Jeep is always at the bottom. So, I thought this would be agreat place to get a real review. Like I said, I've never had any realproblems. What do you think of the newer (after 2007) Wranglers?

Thanks!

jeeps are a good vehicle - nothing in their class is any better for reliability,

Be advised jeeps are often used off road and that adds to the demands of service and part replacement due to the rough conditions.

Life without AC is unthinkable akin to a hand crank start.

Be sure to look at STOCK vehicles for comparison.

I always take the "reliability reports" with a grain of salt when it come to Jeeps. As K-2 said Jeeps are often used differently then average cars & have different characteristics to begin with.
I have a 1999 Wrangler with about 120,000 miles & 2001 Cherokee with over 130,000 miles.....they're not sports cars & they're not limos but, I'm happy with them both!

Every year or generation has its issues. They are all well documented and repairs known. Jeep has one of the best user forum groups out there. There are just too many very knowledgeable people in comparison to other models.
2007 and newer has a track bar issue that is fixable for s few 1-2 hundred dollars or less.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

As far as reliability I have never had an issue. Living in the north we have rust issues but that is every vehicle. If your looking for a JK personally I would look for one that has the 3.6 l engine from what I have read it is a much better engine than the 3.8 I think they made the switch around 2012 but my dates may be off.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Jeepz.com mobile app

Mechanically I've had better vehicles than jeeps BUT it would be hard to find a better stock 4x4.
Ditto on what the others have said about how some jeeps are used. While I don't go 4 wheeling like most, I live on a mountain and need 4 wheel drive to get in/out in bad weather. I've owned 2 jeeps and both were miles ahead of the other 4x4s I've owned .... and I'm a ford man!

Above posts are well worded which i agree.
The 4.0 inline engine is a legend as far as dependability, over 300K is common.
Some years have more issues then others , some being quirky to say the least, like the Gas over-flow.
I offroad quite often and find Jeeps are stout .
Jeeps are very user friendly " pre JK " Meaning easy to work on.

Something to consider though,
Jeeps are perhaps the most abused vehicle's on the road and you'll hear the negative reviews .
A close friend of mine is a prime example. He takes to the trails very aggressively and has submerged his Jeep in deep water on several occasions.
Now he is experiencing electrical issues and Jeep gets the rap.
I've thoroughly enjoyed mine.

Back