Squeaky shocks

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Any reason why my shocks have gotten squeaky? They are probably 4 or 5 years old, and if I go over a speed bump, all four shocks squeak like crazy.

Any tips on how to lube them? I'm thinking of just hitting them with WD40

jeeps are often used offroad, think dirt, mud, water - a little hard use and that is expected. Not the pampered Porsche life.

I would spray away at those bushings. A little spray on any nuts bolts may be of benefit in the future..

Have you gained weight? He he he ROFL

They are crying to go off-road.

Are you sure it's the shock and not dirt or rust in the spring seat?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I know i'm going to probably get slammed by the WD-40 fans for this, but imo WD-40 is not truly a lubricant, it's more of a solvent in some cases and will wash away old lubricants IF they are present.

Allow me to qualify that remark, it is good to use to free up things quickly and i do use it but it's not a long term solution. Follow up with medium white lithium grease or appropriate lube of your choice for application.

Sounds like top or bottom shock mounts bolt head or nut to washer may be culprit or perhaps bushing mounts at shackles.

Do you have nylon or equivalent washers at any moving metal contact points at shackles or shock mounts?

my 2 cents, but i'm too broke to pay attention.

there is a clunk in the rear end differential. 94 cj 4 cyl.. i have checked the oil level and would like to change the cover any way. vin

I originally thought it was my shocks, but after climbing under it, it was my aftermarket rear sway bar links. I hit them with some silicone (tire shine...) And it went away ....for now

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Jeepz.com mobile app

I agree WD40 is not first choice BUT WD has become a generic (Vaseline) term for spray lubes

PB Blaster, Liquid wrench, CRC, kroil, Vv-L800 etc etc - whats handy and personal choice.....

My2 cents best multi purpose - PB blaster

Have you gained weight? He he he ROFL

They are crying to go off-road.

Are you sure it's the shock and not dirt or rust in the spring seat?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk
Hey now! I'm just storing energy for the winter!

FYI Terry has an 2005 Tj

You could check it out in his bio by clicking on his user name.

Everyone should fill out info on their jeep in their bio so answering is easier.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Hey now! I'm just storing energy for the winter!

Yah! Yah! right.., Just too short for your weight. Right?

Hey consider control arms and sway bar bushings squeeking.
All of that moves when the shock extends or compresses.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

I agree WD40 is not first choice BUT WD has become a generic (Vaseline) term for spray lubes

PB Blaster, Liquid wrench, CRC, kroil, Vv-L800 etc etc - whats handy and personal choice.....

My2 cents best multi purpose - PB blaster

Agree that you should use the correct tool for the job. Just check that the lube you use doesn't eat the bushings your applying it to.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

every body should know: " w d 40 is not good for most things". silacone was very good for most rubber. i would change out the rubber bushings - if posable. vin.

Hey consider control arms and sway bar bushings squeeking.
All of that moves when the shock extends or compresses.

I've already got Savvy control arms all round, they have johnny joints at each end (well, except for the front axle side uppers). I had forgotten that my rear swaybar links still had rubber bushings. I think the swaybar links are from a Grand Cherokee, but I can't remember.

Yah and the savvy arms need greasing.
Anyway it's just something to consider.
Did you put any poly bushings on?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Have yor been able to figure this out?

So I went to fix it last weekend, and I found that the right rear lower arm was loose, and I could wiggle it with my hand. I took it off, cleaned it, lubed it, put it back, then ended up cleaning all my other control arms. Long story short, I forgot what I really set out to do. I did however fix a problem I didn't know I had.

I'll fix the squeak (coming from my passenger rear) in the next couple of days.

Oh yeah - I don't have any poly bushings.

Back