I need advice on going back to stock. I know it's weird but...

Dutchman01

Ok, this is a question about spring rates the boys and girls over there at another forum just won't lower themselves to answer. I'm ok with that.

I have a 2010 jk rubicon. It's a nice simple low mileage rubi. I like it. I don't much care for the "lift" kit in it. It has Rough Country shocks and Coils. That's all. I have nothing against Rough Country but this is an incomplete build. I don't much think I want to fool with it as I can always go with that new mopar high top fenders if I ever want to put oversize tires on it.

Now, I've found a source for new coil springs and there are a number of them. I've seen reference to spring coils that end in 19 for the front and 60 for the rear.

"Suposedly" these will give a "lift" of something like 1 to 2 inches. Is that true? If so I'm in the same boat I'm in now, right? Wrong? Any advantage to stiffer coils for my rubi?

I need advice on this matter please.

I am confused - WHAT do you want to achieve?

ride comfort?
Height?

what did you do with the original components?

Dutchman01, welcome to Jeepz. Have you considered going to an off-road shop around you that does lifts and asking if they have any original springs that would work on your Jeep? I would think someone has to have some laying around that they took off to put a lift on.

I am confused - WHAT do you want to achieve?

ride comfort?
Height?

what did you do with the original components?

Better handling on the road. I can always go with mopar high top fenders if I want larger tires, if I want to. As for the original components, I'm guessing they ended up on some pile behind some workshop. The jeep is used and came with a "partial, lift. It's just springs and coils. 2.5 in.

I can get the original equipment but they're saying it'll be an inch or two above factory rides because of the coil rate. That "kinda" puts me back where I started, or does it?

I'm just wondering if an inch or two puts me back where I'm at, 2.5 inches plus with this rough country lift. Or does it?

https://www.rubitrux.com/factory-jeep-wrangler-suspension-and-steering.html

Dutchman01, welcome to Jeepz. Have you considered going to an off-road shop around you that does lifts and asking if they have any original springs that would work on your Jeep? I would think someone has to have some laying around that they took off to put a lift on.

I can but it seems I'm taking some chance here. One shop I talked to had a pile of springs "mostly" not marked. Different spring rates, different ages, ect. I can get the original factory but they're actually more expensive than a lot of these after market lifts.

I've found an place that sells pretty new takoffs but they all seem to be a higher coil rate than what came with my rubicon. I'm just wondering if the slightly higher coil rate is a factor here. So, is it? What do you think?

https://www.rubitrux.com/factory-jeep-wrangler-suspension-and-steering.html

put an ad on craigslist. people always have stock springs to get rid of and usually will give them away

put an ad on craigslist. people always have stock springs to get rid of and usually will give them away

You would be correct but I'm already running into a problem.......there are a ton of differences in the coil rate of the springs and don't get me started on the stock number (differences?) in the rubicon shocks.

Man what can of worms I'm running into. I can get "exactly" the springs I need from Quadratec and the price isn't too bad. However, the dealership wants to charge me a boatload of money for the rubicon shocks. I've tried some mopar online sources but haven't as yet found one that has the information I need. I'm going to be reduced to dealing with another fellow human being on this matter.

Like I said, a can of worms.

Can't say I know the spring rate and the others that replied likely don't or they would posted it first.

Are you hard pressed to go with rubicon original shocks?Rancho or OME make some shocks that will meet or beat the stock ride.

As for the springs look for all four to come from someone's build. Best to still have stickers so the rates can be matched right to left.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Can't say I know the spring rate and the others that replied likely don't or they would posted it first.

Are you hard pressed to go with rubicon original shocks?Rancho or OME make some shocks that will meet or beat the stock ride.

As for the springs look for all four to come from someone's build. Best to still have stickers so the rates can be matched right to left.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

In light of the cost of new rubicon shocks I'm seriously considering bilstiens. How do you think the bills would compare to the rubis?

As as for the builds that's certainly an idea. The problem I've run into is an awful lot of these build these days are the four door jobs. Depending on the package the all have differing coil rates. I can only guess about the shocks.

I may may just go with bills unless I can come up with more complete information.

A thought - with vin # parts dept MAY be able to access the springs by part number that were installed when built.

Today computers allow for some detailed build sheets compared to the old days. Does not hurt to ask.

Did jeep say the height would increase an inch or two? I question that.

A thought - with vin # parts dept MAY be able to access the springs by part number that were installed when built.

Today computers allow for some detailed build sheets compared to the old days. Does not hurt to ask.

Did jeep say the height would increase an inch or two? I question that.

You are absolutely correct. That's how the guy down at the dealership came up with the two numbers I have for my coil springs. That's how I know about quadratec having just what I need. However, he clammed up when I asked him for the numbers for my shocks. All he told me were the price. Ouch.

Anyway, on one parts place online it asked for my vin number. I poked in in like 6 times and that database just told me there was an error. That was last night. I tried again this morning. No luck. I'll look for another place with a more cooperative search engine. There seem to be a number of numbers out there. For the shocks at least there may just be differing stock numbers for just a couple of differing shocks but I'm not sure.

I do like the idea of canvasing the local shops that do jeep builds. There's three in my little burg. I'm thinking of just calling those guys and seeing if they can keep an eye open for qualifying shocks for the rubi. Damn good idea that.

From what little I've read. Each model or variant may have a different spring rate.
Soft vs hard top, axel vs axel. Tow package vs none... so in some cases if you take the heaviest spring rate on the lightest jeep you get up to 2in of lift and a stiffer ride. Something you are trying to avoid.

are you correcting an issue with the swap. If so what is the issue?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

I know rubicon springs and shocks lifted the wife's jeep, with hard top, about 2". I can see needing to know all that stuff

From what little I've read. Each model or variant may have a different spring rate.
Soft vs hard top, axel vs axel. Tow package vs none... so in some cases if you take the heaviest spring rate on the lightest jeep you get up to 2in of lift and a stiffer ride. Something you are trying to avoid.

are you correcting an issue with the swap. If so what is the issue?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

The issue I have is I have an incomplete build with what "some" consider to be marginal parts. I'll leave it at that. I don't feel like it's advisable to build on this lift and starting over is just silly expensive.

I've been driving jeeps as my daily driver for the last 20 years. This is my third jeep and second rubicon. All my experience has been with bone stock jeeps. I'm not a rock climber. I'm not a mudder. I'm not a mall crawler. My jeep is basically a mall crawler.

I don't have a problem with mall crawlers. I really don't. At my age I'm pretty non-judgmental about this sort of thing. However, for my own purposes I really want good handling. I'll put on 130 miles a day. I live 60 miles from where I work. The kind of lift that will give me good handling characteristics is simply a rabbit hole I don't want to go down.

I four wheel most weekends on the forest service roads and logging roads in the national forest. It's just what my wife and I like to do. I don't need a lift for that. A stock suspension will give me the road handling qualities I feel I need and I can still wheel on the weekends. There's also the fact that stock size tires are lighter and less expensive to replace. I'm looking forward to retirement. Cost of maintenance is a consideration.

I know rubicon springs and shocks lifted the wife's jeep, with hard top, about 2". I can see needing to know all that stuff

I know, right? If I'm not careful I'll end up where I am now. The guys here have given me some very good advice. I've contacted the one local hot spot for jeep builds in my area. I spoke to a nice kid about keeping me in mind in case they come up with some nearly new parts.

I'm in no hurry here. I've got these tires to burn off before I can do anything but even if I have to pay full retail for some new factory suspension parts I'm good with all of this and I kinda like the idea of a completely new suspension for this little Rubicon anyway. It seems like a good jeep for my purposes despite its age.

Back