[OVERWHLEMED] correct way to use 5x5 wheels & 32" tires on stock 2000 TJ?

sirvice

FACTS: I've got an Keywest Only 2000 TJ and I want to use 5x5 wheels and 32" tires

I live in Keywest so there isn't any possibility for offroading. My friend gave me her stock 2014 JK wheels and 32" Goodyear Wrangler P255/75R17 113S tires. I want to use these on my 2000 Saharah TJ to enjoy, amoungst other things increase the value for a soon-to-be resale.

How best do I go about doing this?

From what I understand, my TJ has a LUG Pattern of 5x4.5 and the JK wheel's LUG Pattern is 5x5.
I've already purchased these:
SET GROUP Wheel Adapters 5x4.5 to 5x5 1.25"(32mm)
and hope they work. Amazon is one of the better ways to purchase & recieve goods in Keywest.

I plan to use a 2" spacer/body lift as a road only lift so that the 32" JK Tires will fit. Being in Key West, Amazon.com is the way to go for delivery of parts. I've lurked and read for a long time now and feel confident that I need a 2" body lift to allow the tires to fit without rubbing. Is this correct?

The jeep's steering damper is going to replaced as well. I wanted to make sure that the new one fits. From what I understand one of these will fit. If there is something to be desired or suggested, please don't hesitate to tell me:

Monroe SC2928 Magnum Steering Damper
or
Skyjacker 7009 HD OEM Replacement Steering Stabilizer Kit
or
Rancho RS5407 RS5000 Series Steering Stabilizer

Also do I need a a new and possibly adjustable track/sway bar?

As for the 2" lift, I understand 2" is the minimallift to allow 32" tires. I also read Rough Country is bottom tier but works well for basic driving for a year or two. Would this be ok to use for use on highway/street road?

Rough Country - 658 - 2-inch Suspension Lift Kit for Jeep: 97-06 Wrangler TJ 4WD, 04-06 Wrangler Unlimited LJ 4WD

If not, which body lift would I be better off using?

Am I on the wrong track? If sticking to body lifts, where would you go with this?

I really appriciate any energy anyone uses in replying to my query.

Last edited:

[OVERWHLEMED] correct way to use 5x5 wheels & 32" tires on stock 2000 TJ?

If you are not off roading 32's will fit with no lift but tight. With the spacers they may rub. You could do a 1.5 -2 in budget boost cheaper than suspension lift.
The steering stabilizer doesn't need to be changed but if you want to brand doesn't matter.

I can't comment on wheel spacers. I don't have nor used them. Proper way is to change the unit wheel bearings, knuckels and brakes.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Re: [OVERWHLEMED] correct way to use 5x5 wheels & 32" tires on stock 2000 TJ?

Use loctite on those wheel spacers and you won't have any issues.

No other suspension modifications needed if you're installing a body lift. You might run into transfer case linkage binding as it is connected to both the body and frame. Moving the body further away from the frame puts it in a bind. Quality body lift kits include a bracket to address this.

A budget boost (coil spacers) is a good option to fit those tires. Only other mods needed are to redrill 1/2" over for the front track bar to axle mount, and adjust the front caster all the way out to remove vibrations.

Use loctite on those wheel spacers and you won't have any issues.

No other suspension modifications needed if you're installing a body lift. You might run into transfer case linkage binding as it is connected to both the body and frame. Moving the body further away from the frame puts it in a bind. Quality body lift kits include a bracket to address this.

A budget boost (coil spacers) is a good option to fit those tires. Only other mods needed are to redrill 1/2" over for the front track bar to axle mount, and adjust the front caster all the way out to remove vibrations.

Originally I had typed out a more detailed post but then I went and hit 'ALT+left-arrow' accidentally. I meant to post somewhere in there I wanted to use just a body/spacer lift.
What is neccesary to avoid transfer case linkage binding possibilities? I've read about adjusting the yoke. Is that something related to this?
At the bottom of this reply are the details of the lift I am thinking about. Are the 'Shock Relocation Brackets' included in the kit the same brackets that you mention?

If you are not off roading 32's will fit with no lift but tight. With the spacers they may rub. You could do a 1.5 -2 in budget boost cheaper than suspension lift.
The steering stabilizer doesn't need to be changed but if you want to brand doesn't matter.

I can't comment on wheel spacers. I don't have nor used them. Proper way is to change the unit wheel bearings

So without the lift, the 32's will be close but still work; but then if I add these 2" coil spring spacers then they may rub? This sounds like the spacers would be worse then without. Or does the rubbing the 'don't turn too sharp' kind of rubbing?
the steering damper is being changed because it needs to be changed. I don't want to have to backtrack because I purchased parts that are incorrect once the 32's are on.
Does all of the information at the bottom here regarding the spacer kit look normal?

Thanks for the quick replies. Reading these concise answers is a god send when I get lost in a sea of tabs and various windows.

• KIT CONTENTS: Front: Coil spring spacers; Rear: Coil spring spacers and shock relocation brackets
  • BENEFITS: Clears up to 31-inch tires; 100% Bolt-on installation; Increased ground clearance; Levels the front with the rear of the Jeep
  • TECHNICAL NOTES: The use of stock wheels with larger than stock tires may cause the tire to come in contact with the lower control arm at full turn; Aftermarket wheels are recommended
  • ITEM SPECIFICS: Installation Time: 2-3 hours; Backspacing: 3.75-inches; Recommended Tire Size: 31-by-10.50; Weight: 16.75-lbs

Sorry if I made it confusing. With no lift you may rub the fender. With lift you should not rub the fender. To avoid rubbing the control Arm at full turn. I'd have to look if the JK backspacing plus spacer is enough.
With the budget boot or the body lift the fender rub would be eliminated.
To budget boost it would be spacers and re alignment. You could move the track bar or live with the tires being app 1/2 in offset from the body. I'm not aware of any issues leaving it 1/2 in off.

If you body lift you could use a linkage from terra flex that corrects the binding issue. You also need to look at modifying the shifter boot on a manual trans as it will hit and cause it to slip out of gear. I would not body lift more than 1 in.

With less than 3in lift you do not need to worry about pinion angles and drivetrain vibrations...

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Thank you so much for the clarification. The jeep's an automatic. So that manual transmission issues are nill. But, I'd like to be prepared or at least well informed of possibilities. The big driver for these actions are that I want to sell the jeep before it starts nickle and diming. It's just over 100k and with the wife, 3 year old and a miniature wiener; any sort of trip lasting longer than a day is a challenge of champion tetris proportions. Hope to get a four-door jeep.

A body lift and spacer lift are two different things. The lift you listed is a (coil) spacer lift, not a body lift. No transfer case linkage issues when using a coil spacer lift. Just be sure to get adjustable caster bolts for the axle end of the front lower control arms. Then adjust the caster all the way out so it pushes the bottom of the front axle as far forward as possible.

One more thing about the coil spacer lift. Your front axle will be off-center side-to-side after the lift unless you either install an adjustable track bar, or redrill the hole in the axle mount about 1/2" toward the passenger side.

Back