Too many miles or good deal?

southtj

I'm looking at getting back into a Jeep and am considering an 04 TJ Sahara. It has 165,000 miles and wondering if it's worth it. It drives/rides nicely but has a bit of an exhaust leak. The paint is decent but original so there are chips on the grill and a few touch ups on the doors. The back bumper has a small dent, the front seats don't fold forward due to broken cables. The rear seat won't tumble and seems caught up on one side. The interior is in good shape other wise except the aftermarket radio is broken and a dash rattle. It has never been lifted and looking underneath it doesn't have any rust and no scrapes from hard off roading. There are new front end parts visible so that's good. The engine looks clean on the top side but looks like it may be leaking around the oil pan. It does have a D44 rear but not sure of the gears.

My plan on the front end would be a 2" lift, new wheels and tires, get the seats working, radio replaced and the exhaust leak fixed. That is what I'd have to do to get it driveable for me. They are asking 10,200 but said he'd take 1000 off for me. This would be a second vehicle for me until I get it fixed the way I want then I'll be selling my truck and it will be my primary for a few years. Once my daughters college money is sorted out and budgeted for then I'll buy a car and keep the Jeep as a weekend toy. That's the plan anyway. Thoughts?

I'm looking at getting back into a Jeep and am considering an 04 TJ Sahara. It has 165,000 miles and wondering if it's worth it. It drives/rides nicely but has a bit of an exhaust leak. The paint is decent but original so there are chips on the grill and a few touch ups on the doors. The back bumper has a small dent, the front seats don't fold forward due to broken cables. The rear seat won't tumble and seems caught up on one side. The interior is in good shape other wise except the aftermarket radio is broken and a dash rattle. It has never been lifted and looking underneath it doesn't have any rust and no scrapes from hard off roading. There are new front end parts visible so that's good. The engine looks clean on the top side but looks like it may be leaking around the oil pan. It does have a D44 rear but not sure of the gears.

My plan on the front end would be a 2" lift, new wheels and tires, get the seats working, radio replaced and the exhaust leak fixed. That is what I'd have to do to get it driveable for me. They are asking 10,200 but said he'd take 1000 off for me. This would be a second vehicle for me until I get it fixed the way I want then I'll be selling my truck and it will be my primary for a few years. Once my daughters college money is sorted out and budgeted for then I'll buy a car and keep the Jeep as a weekend toy. That's the plan anyway. Thoughts?
I bought an 06 in much better shape with fewer miles for 10,000 five years ago. The D44 give a it more value but I think it's probably onlyy worth 7,000 max. And I would offer up 6,500 which is what I payed for my 98 that was already lifted with 33s on it four years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I don't really pay attention to miles on wranglers pre JK era, mine has 389k on her and going strong. When buying a wrangler there are key points to look out for. Check for rust on the frame, under the doors and trunk, skid plate, and around the body mounts. Many Tj's outside of the west have developed "rot". I would look under the engine for leaks (rms, valve cover, and oil pan leaks are the norm.), look into the radiator for any signs of gelling or particles and rust. Check all fluids for signs of cross contamination or water in the oil. Make sure the 4x4 works as i have seen some people who remove the front driveshaft to eliminate noise. These Jeeps do talk a lot in terms of lifter and transmission noise, mine sounds like a truck taking off in first.

When it comes to the test drive I would meet the owner first thing in the morning when the engine is cold and start her up to ensure it starts okay and there are no abnormal noises. typical noises are rattling from manual transmission, lifter ticking for the first couple minutes at idle, and a cooler like sound for the first few seconds. If you get knocking or ticking that doesnt go away or gets worse as you drive i would pass. When you drive it feel how it rides. Many people don't properly maintain their rigs and have a lot of sway, drifting, noise over bumps, and squeeking. With the miles it has on it, I would drive with the radio off and in silence to hear them. Test the 4x4 on the road to make sure it is grabbing. If there is any noises or feeling you are not sure of ask if it has been investigated. As you drive watch the oil gauge to make sure it isnt radically going from one end to the other, usually the sit between 30-60 psi when driving. Also watch the miles to make sure they are accurately reading. These vehicle do have issues with the multi function switch which will impact lighting and make turn signals stick on. when you are done driving it turn it on and of to see if it starts right up again.

All in all, jeeps are great, but if it seems to good to be true it usually is. Many Tj owners will sell their wives to fix their rigs. Ask the owner as many questions as you can in order to make sure you get a good feeling about the buy. I would also ask for any records the owner has in terms of service and how many owners the jeep has had, usually the more owners there are, the more issue it may have. Also, ask if you can take it into a mechanic for a general inspection. A seller with a solid rig usually wont mind, but if he gives you any flack then i would question why. All the above are my opinions, observations, and experience with jeeps. These statements are in no way shape or form the reflection of any company or government entity.

Enjoy!

Jeepernaut, Wow! Great information on buying a used Jeep. I passed on that one though as I found one closer to me with only 111,000 miles. It's in much better condition and in the my parking lot now! I'll post some more info in the General forum. Reading your post after i've bought and I'm glad I did just about everything you suggested and it passed.

awesome! I hope it give you many years of solid wheeling and of course poor fuel economy :grin:.

Back