Tow rating

Good day,
I own a 2017 4 door Wrangler and like to know what vehicle physical damage or loss occurs towing more then the vehicles rated capacity? IE towing trailer weighting 4000 lbs with a vehicle having 2000 lb rated 3.21 ratio differential.

Thank you
Wayne

Well it is like most vehicles, generally the vehicle can tow more than it is rated ( i towed a 3,000lb pintle trailer with 5 quads and a 3 dirtbikes/motorcycles 450 miles in 3rd gear). Usually when you overload the vehicle you will heavily wear the transmission, you can overheat and/or blow out/damage the engine, you can tear up your axle, rip the tow hitch off the vehicle and damage the frame, throw your driveshaft through the floor board, bend suspension parts and wear them out like no tomorrow, void warranties, blow out tires, and of course crash or lose control and damage the trailer or other car (especially with a soft top). I would not overdue the new models by much, they are nothing like the older leaf and coil spring wranglers and are not designed for hell and back.

When I towed with my 02, I blew out both my rear shocks, bent a trailing arm, and lost my LSD and spider gears 500 miles later. All in all it was cool seeing a jeep doing that, was it worth the cost? Yes, since I have the capability of doing it myself, if i couldnt then hell no I would regret it. Trust me, it isnt worth risking yours or your rigs life.

Keep in mind that tow ratings assume stock size tires. Many Jeepers don't understand that tow ratings realistically drop after installing oversized tires.

Don't crash and burn, tow responsibly.

Back