Need a Trans for ‘87 4.2

Heavy10mm

Howdy, lads!
I’m new to Jeeps (as will become clear lol). I got one in fair shape cosmetically but it didn’t run. It had say for a couple of years, so I got it for a song. I’ve always wanted a Wrangler and I couldn’t pass this one up. I finally got it running, but it won’t go above 1st gear (Automatic trans, 3 speed I think but I’m not sure). Idk why, as it shifted and drove fine before it sat, but there it is.

There’s a ton to do in order to get this beast running again, but my greatest issue is the transmission. I feel sheepish asking such elementary questions, but I’ve gotta learn how to do more auto repair somewhere 😅.

Anyway, are there transmissions from other Jeep/AMC/Chrysler autos that will work in my project? Will any Jeep auto trans work, or do I have to replace it with the one that is coming out? Or is there a chance a fluid flush will get this trans going again?

Ill be asking lots lots of other stupid questions in the future, but this is the biggest issue at the moment.

Thabks fot your help and for this great forum!

I'd have a reputable transmission shop take a look at it. I wouldn't think it would require a rebuild or anything too serious.

^^agree^^

At a minimum have you checked level and color or changed the fluid

thanks! I did check, and the level is good. It’s a couple of mm down from “full”, but I don’t think that’s it. Could be though. I’m going to top it off and give it a go

I'd have a reputable transmission shop take a look at it. I wouldn't think it would require a rebuild or anything too serious.

Thank you! I appreciate the input! I will take it in if I can’t get it figured out. Someone mentioned a “kick down cable” being a possible culprit, but I can’t see one. I was told to look for a frayed or loose hose, but everything down there looks like steel. I can’t see one in my manual, either. I was hoping for a cheap/easy fix lol

Ok! So, I’ve got the transmission shifting issue sorted out. Turns out that either the people at the shop I took her to in order to find out why she wouldn’t start are morons, and/or I’m a moron too. Anyway, now I need to figure out the overheating and the leak that I think is where the motor meets the trans

Describe both in detail. When do you overhear and what is leaking water or oil?

JPNinPA

PS it would be good to know what the resolution was. Simple mistakes are often the ones overlooked by many. So it will help to know.

Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:

PS it would be good to know what the resolution was. Simple mistakes are often the ones overlooked by many. So it will help to know.

Using Jeepz.com app
It’s embarrassing lol. The reason I was stuck in low gear is because it was in 4WD low. In my defense, the Jeep didn’t run when I got it, so when the shop told me the trans needed a rebuild, I assumed they’d tried that. That said, that should have been the first thing I checked.

The leakage looks like its where the the motor meets the transmission, and it appears to be oil. Weird place for oil to come from so I’m dubious.

The overheating occurs after after a few minutes of normal driving. As it sat for a while, it’s quite a mess under the hood. Spider webs, hornet nests, and I think there may even be some ROUSs from Princess Bride. The weather is quite bad today, so when it clears up, later or tomorrow, I’m going to go power wash the bay and have a better look. I’ll post pics.

I REALLY appreciate your input and help!

Ok oil leak. Look at the rear main seal. Also if there is a leak on top there is a good recent post about steaming the years of buildup off.

For the overheating.
Are you driving while overheating? If so how fast are you driving? Over 30 there should be enough air pressure and flow you shouldn't overheat.

If you are idling you might check your clutch fan operation. To do this the engine must be off and cold. Try to spin the fan. It should spin 2.5 to 5 revolutions before stopping. If it doesn't spin or easily spins more than 5 revs your clutch is shot.

Do you have anything blocking the radiator or in the grill? Blackouts or screens are bad.

Are the fins clear and is there anything between the radiator and air condenser if you have one? Be sure to clean it out so you could see through.

Being its been years a good flush and fill may be in order. Drain and properly dispose of old coolant. Put distilled or if you have good tap water in. Add the prestone super flush and follow its directions. Drain and dispose the fluid. Here is where you need a good rinse. Unhook the top hose from the radiator and place the garden hose in the open radiator cap area. Fill the system until it runs out of the radiator. Start the engine and keep the hose trickling when the engine reaches temp let it flush until the water is clear. If it doesn't clear repeat the flush. When your done drain and add the correct fluid mixed with distilled water mixture.
Be sure to burp all the air out.
Replace the radiator cap with new.
Check the overflow or expansion tank for cracks and fill appropriately.

After a good flush and fill let us know if it still overheats. Then we could talk head gasket or crack head.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Ok oil leak. Look at the rear main seal. Also if there is a leak on top there is a good recent post about steaming the years of buildup off.

For the overheating.
Are you driving while overheating? If so how fast are you driving? Over 30 there should be enough air pressure and flow you shouldn't overheat.

If you are idling you might check your couch fan operation. To do this the engine must be off and cold. Try to spin the fan. It should spin 2.5 to 5 revolutions before stopping. If it doesn't spin or easily spins more than 5 revs your clutch is shot.

Do you have anything blocking the radiator or in the grill? Blackouts or screens are bad.

Are the fins clear and is there anything between the radiator and air condenser if you have one? Be sure to clean it out so you could see through.

Being its been years a good flush and fill may be in order. Drain and properly dispose of old coolant. Put distilled or if you have good tap water in. Add the pre stone super flush and follow its directions. Drain and dispose the fluid. Here is where you need a good rinse. Unhook the top hose from the radiator and place the garden hose in the open radiator cap area. Fill the system until it runs out of the radiator. Start the engine and keep the hose trickling when the engine reaches temp let it flush until the water is clear. If it doesn't clear repeat the flush. When your done drain and add the correct fluid mixed with distilled water mixture.
Be sure to burp all the air out.
Replace the radiator cap with new.
Check the overflow or expansion tank for cracks and fill appropriately.

After a good flush and fill let us know if it still overheats. Then we could talk head gasket or crack head.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Thank you so much! I’m going to owe you a beer or 20. I wish I would have got Kilroy (the Jeep) 4 months ago. It just began snowing lol. I’ll post some pics of her tomorrow though

“Nuts...”
Gen. Anthony McAuliffe

Back