Next Issue to Address

Heavy10mm

Ok. So the trans is ok on my 89 4.2L, but I’m concerned about a real road test due to the fact I can’t read water temp. I pulled the gauges and followed the cable/hose at the back of the water temp gauge to this...
b329d571e2b4f122fd959e98f0202ad4-1.jpg

I’m no car guru, but this doesn’t seem right... what is this, and where should I look for the proper water temp sender? My manual isn’t helping much.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

If you could buy a factory service manual.. Pricy but worth it. Idk if they have manuals that far back, buts it's worth looking.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
I believe you have two. One for the gage and one for the PCM. The PCM one is below the thermostat housing. That is where the top radiator hose connects to the engine.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I believe you have two. One for the gage and one for the PCM. The PCM one is below the thermostat housing. That is where the top radiator hose connects to the engine.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

So is the one in the picture the one that should be going to the gauge?

“Nuts...”
Gen. Anthony McAuliffe

I believe so either there or in the back of the engine.
The one at the thermo housing goes to the PCM

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I believe so either there or in the back of the engine.
The one at the thermo housing goes to the PCM

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Sweet. Thank you! That means it’s hooked up the way it’s supposed to be, but is malfunctioning in some other way. It sure is easier to get around under the hood here than it is on my wife’s ‘13 Hyundai lol

“Nuts...”
Gen. Anthony McAuliffe

Nice find!

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I'd make a lowball offer on this and see if they'll take it

Thanks a bunch! I’ll see if they’ll take what I can offer when money is a bit more abundant. It is a sweet find!

I’ve decided that I don’t think she overheats. There’s a bit of light smoke when I start her, but it dies down when she heats up. And she doesn’t leak antifreeze (that I can see). So apart from the oil leak that I’m pretty sure is, as JPNinPA suggested, the rear main seal, I need to figure out the temp gauge and try to figure out why she’s hard to start and why she stalls. I’ve got more time than money, so it’ll be a process I guess lol.

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much!

“Nuts...”
Gen. Anthony McAuliffe

Last edited by a moderator:

Describe the starting issue and the stalling issue.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app
It cranks and cranks, catches and loses it a couple of times... I have to crank for a couple of minutes before it starts cold.

It stalls when coming to a stop if I don’t keep my foot on the gas, so to drive it around town I have to put it in neutral and rev up a little to keep her from stalling out

“Nuts...”
Gen. Anthony McAuliffe

Ok for the starting issue. Try without starting the engine to turn the key to on and wait 5 sec. Then off for 1 one on for 5 sec then start. Not sure how far back it goes but in YJ and TJ the fuel check valve goes bad. When this happens the fuel drains back yo the tank. Until it's primed your engine will not start.

You have a carb correct? Check for vac leaks.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Ok for the starting issue. Try without starting the engine to turn the key to on and wait 5 sec. Then off for 1 one on for 5 sec then start.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Wow! You’re a wizard! I had to go through the 5-1-5 process 2 or 3 times, but it fired right up, relatively speaking. Nice!

Sent using TapTalk

I can aid the search for a vacuum leak by spraying starter fluid, right?

Thanks yet again

“Nuts...”
Gen. Anthony McAuliffe

Wow! You’re a wizard! I had to go through the 5-1-5 process 2 or 3 times, but it fired right up, relatively speaking. Nice!

I can aid the search for a vacuum leak by spraying starter fluid, right?

Thanks yet again

“Nuts...”
Gen. Anthony McAuliffe

Not a wizard. Just common issues and key word triggers make the connection.
Yes, Starter fluid, carb cleaner, WD40 water...

So now you know your starting issue is lack of fuel. You might check the fuel pressure and leak down. Maybe change the filter.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Oh! I managed to find a PDF of the shop manual. It’s full of great and very specific info. I think it’s about 1200 pages long. And it’s got great pictures, too
8e8a719098fac0d2e9b8f9a5996eefb0-1.jpg

“Nuts...”
Gen. Anthony McAuliffe

Your going to enjoy that... Only last advice now is only use OEM sensors. Aftermarket are bad right out of the box many times.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Your going to enjoy that... Only last advice now is only use OEM sensors. Aftermarket are bad right out of the box many times.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Thanks for that advice.
Can I just buy a 50’ spoil of vacuum hose, or will each piece be application-specific?

“Nuts...”
Gen. Anthony McAuliffe

Back