Transmission leak

syrekn_390

I drive a 2000 wrangler, 4.0 automatic transmission. My transmission has been slowly leaking for a while now. I’ve been adding a little fluid in every now and then to keep it full but now I’ve stopped driving it for the winter. I’m planning on fixing the problem this winter before I ruin something. Anyone know what my issue could be? Is there any common transmission leaking problems that mine could be. Could this be a easy fix or am I looking to spend a lot of money? Any help is grateful. Thanks, #jeepon

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I'm not aware of any common leaking issues on the transmission.

Not to be condescending, but are you sure you are checking trans fluid and not engine oil?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

The first place I'd check is the lines then look around the pan.
If your pan is leaking, I'd also replace the filter while it's off.
Keep us posted.

I used to have an XJ with an automatic. It used to leak around the perimeter of the pan. Even with a new pan gasket I still had to periodically re tighten the bolts. Or is your leak concentrated at one end?

It's always worth a try, not like you are really out anything if it isn't that simple and would then cross that off the list.

If the pan is leaking at the seal/gasket replace the gasket and filter if there is one.
If there is a drain plug replace any crush washer when you go to refill.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Back