Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    TerryMason is offline Administrator

Re: Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade

That's rough. Glad you're on the mend though.

Turbogus is offline Senior Member

Thanks Terry :)
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

I got the MSD wires yesterday and I brought the Accel No.1 wire with me to work. I'm used to the Accel crimper and this one from MSD is a little different. Going to figure it out today and then get on to the rest of the wiring.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

So opening the kit I found two styles of crimp terminals;

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-wp_20180426_08_22_58_pro.jpg

These terminals are described as the bronze colored Standard, and the silver colored Dual Crimp
    I'm using the MSD Cap-a-Dapt and I believe the 90* Dual Crimp is what I shound be using, or could I be wrong?

I finally got through to the MSD Tech line and it is the silver double crimp for the Cap-a-dapt caps.

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-5473414_l_b682e984-12b9-4b80-bf32-325f403b4222.jpg

One thing not mentioned in the instructions was the wire labels ~ Note: It's much easier to slip these on before crimping the terminals on.

...another tip: When stripping the wire using the sizing crimping block included in the Universal Set use extra caution NOT to cut the Helically wound copper alloy conductor #8

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-spw_callout.jpg

I found out the hard way and ruined two wires.

JPNinPA is offline Senior Member

Oh dang it!

Thanks!

JPNinPA
    Using Jeepz.com app
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

Yep, I was better served by using the method I used on those old school Accel wires, with a steady hand and a razor blade.

This is Important

When stripping the wire to expose the conductive strands it is nesessary when pulling the outer shielding from the wire to be pushing the core oppositely. The reason for this is the core strands are so tightly enclosed by the inner sleeve it can become unraveled leaving you to cut and start again!

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-wp_20180501_13_19_22_pro.jpg

Name:  WP_20180501_13_19_26_Pro.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  60.8 KB

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-wp_20180501_13_19_38_pro.jpg

I used a ball point pen to poke through and it worked well.
    Last edited by Turbogus; 05-02-2018 at 08:49 AM.

On the first wire I tried for cylinder #1 it got roached to the point that it was too short. The good folks at MSD though siad they'd send me a new wire cut to length and all set up. These guys are on my 'great' list.

I just bought a Standard Blue Streak FD 478 coil and hopefully 'Black Betty' will be on the road again soon. :)

You might share your learnings with XJ Reaper. He has been struggling.

JPNinPA
    Using Jeepz.com app

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  6.2 KB

Hmmm I ran a search for XJ Reaper in the Username but came up zilch. Are they in another forum?

TerryMason is offline Administrator

Now Turbogus you know there aren't any other Jeep forums!

I think JPNinPA is referring to this:
    https://www.jeepz.com/forum/cherokee...-cherokee.html (94 cherokee)

Thanks Terry, I fired off a PM to him. Have a great weekend!

Well, I had a custom mounting from the P.O. for the canister coil and I was able to modify it to fit the e coil prettry easily with a cut off wheel and my bench grinder.
    Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-wp_20180512_15_53_36_pro.jpg

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-wp_20180512_15_53_39_pro.jpg

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-wp_20180512_15_53_47_pro.jpg

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-wp_20180512_15_53_53_pro.jpg

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-wp_20180512_15_54_46_pro.jpg

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-wp_20180513_13_36_21_pro.jpg

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-wp_20180513_13_36_27_pro.jpg

I then just drilled two matching holes for the smaller bosses on the coil and it's very snug.
    Last edited by Turbogus; 05-13-2018 at 04:19 PM.

It was a tight fit, on account of the forward vacuum hose but it's tight and installed now. Since I moved the distributor when I added that alignment tab I'll re-time the motor to spec.

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-p1060936.jpg

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-p1060937.jpg

I've got to get some dielectic grease on the rotor tip and tab before I forget.

Thats looking great!
    You should be quite proud!

JPNinPA
    Using Jeepz.com app

I would be JPN, but upon startup I could tell that the motor was loading up the plugs. I turned the distributor to get at that alignment tab but did not remove it. I had returned the distributor was very near where it was before this work, I was intending to check the timing but dinner was getting cold. Going to try to recheck the wiring tonight as I may have pulled something loose when I turned the distributor. Before checking the timing I've got to get under there and clean up my timing marks. Since getting these damnable bifocals it's hard to focus down there. I'm need'n a rifle or spotting scope I guess.

I just ran across a photo of the stock location of the spark plug wires, I wish I'd have seen that before I began this adventure. Mine are kind of messy, but I'd been advised to seperate each wire as far as i could. I guess these old AMC motors are right finiky, the Chevy 350's I'd run in the past 35 years were not so.

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-p1060939.jpg

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-p1060940.jpg

Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade-p1060941.jpg

There was a bunch of white paint on the dampner pulley making it near impossible to zoom in on the timing mark. So I rotated the crank by hand and wire brushed to paint off until I could find the mark. I then used a paint pen to enhance visibilty, I still have yet to mark the timing marks, was hoping after cleaning up a marker would suffice to enhance the lettering.

I pulled the spark plugs on the left bank and sure enough, they were fuel fouled. I could clean them up with my HF mini sandblaster spark plug cleaner, but if it's not premature I'm thinking I'm going to go with Autolite 646's for the larger gap. I have yet to purchase and install the MSD 6 yet, I want to sort out the tune of the motor first.
    Last edited by Turbogus; 05-17-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last