Turbogus' long slow Team Rush upgrade

Turbogus

So, when I first got 'BB' she had an unmolested ignition system, this seems to be for the 1978 V8 motor, by the service manual.
Original engine compartment 2.JPG

In the process of detirmining a no start issue last year I got a Standard/Blue Streak cap and rotor and redid the abraded spark plug wires with a set of Accell wires that I had at the bottom of my tool box new in the box.
21268d1449068023carterafbthrottlebodyrep-1.jpg

After a full diagnosis of the ignition system I found that the issues I was having was due to a stuck intake valve on the motor.

Since pulling the head and taking care of that issue I've been driving 'BB' without further issues (knock on wood) and I'm preparing to do the Team Rush upgrade to enhance the startup/drivability of 'BB' as I accumulate and modify I'll be posting pics and asking questions along the line. I began doing this (hijacking) on another members' thread and thought I'd get this thread going from start to finish.

Lacking funds and time both, this will be a slow methodical upgrade and I should be getting the MSD 8414 cap, rotor and adapter by the middle of this week. I'm intending of posting pics of each step that even an idiot like me can follow for the sake of others that may be doing this project themselves.

I'm already aware of the fine threads and posts by JeepHammer
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ig...jeeps-1302352/
and am using them as my guide, so this thread will be of my own experience as an other than expert mechanic is. Therefore I welcome comments, advice and experiences that anyone may put forward.

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid.

Gus

Last edited:

From one of JeepHammers fine threads;
V-8 DISTRIBUTOR UPGRADES WILL NEED A DIFFERENT ALIGNMENT TAB FOR THE UPGRADED CAP!

This is VERY easy to do, I usually use the side of a pop can, a razor knife or tin snips and needle nose pliers...
These are graphics showing what the alignment tab looks like, were it goes on the distributor to keep the cap adapter in the correct location.
The screw hole is in EVER Jeep/Motorcraft distributor, so there is no drilling or threading on the distributor,
You simply cut/fold the tab and install it.

cacheJeepzImage.php

cacheJeepzImage.php

I searched my local go-to wrecking yard to find an O.E. alignment tab, but it seems that they moved out the full sized Fords since last year and are now specializing on import cars.

Last week someone dropped a "Wired" drink can outside of the office so after rinsing off I cut a blank out of the side to make that Locating Tab but it seemed so flimsy that I'm dubious it'll suffice. Maybe a soup can??? Has anyone else tried this?...

Luckily my wife and I go through a few cans of soup during the week but if that other cap will do I'll go for it.

I come to find on another site that a metal cable clamp might suffice. Now why didn't I think of that?

Thanks a lot Terry, Last night despite dealing with the crud since two days ago I popped the hood and pulled the distributor cap and like JH's photo above I found the Alignment Notch but where that Alignment Tab goes I couldn't feel a screw hole but there was another notch about an inch away from the Alignment Notch as what may be in that photo.

This one is mine
a.jpg

AMC_DS_21_.jpg

AMC_DS_22_.jpg

AMC_DS_3_.jpg

If I feel up to it I'll break out my signal mirror left over from my Marine days and see if I can spot that dang hole in those close quarters.

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be as much activity on this site as there once was when I joined, where did everyone go?

Well the Cap, Adapter and Rotor earlier than I thought, I quickly fabbed up that pop can retainer clip but I think I'm going to hunt for something more substantial.

C_3049.jpg

WP_20180412_10_03_50_Pro.jpg

After four local shops I finally found a metal cable clamp that I can modify that'll fit the groove of the Distributor. After all that I was surprised to find that cable clamps aren't as common as I thought.

Finally I went to home Depot and found a pkg of 3/8 cable clamps, of course I had to find them myself because the hired hands were too busy kibbutzing to help me find 'em. A couple of minutes on the bench girnder and I have clearance for the cap notch. I've just got to deburr the dingus and bend it to spec. :)

WP_20180413_06_33_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20180413_06_33_38_Pro.jpg

NOW I've just have to find a set screw and star washer to hold it in, does anyone know the thread and pitch?

yesterday during my short break I got out the Adapter and noticed that it fits very snugly, good news that as I've heard from some that theirs wobbles.

P1060918.JPG

Out of a bag of screws I found the one that, with the help of some CRC Lectra-Motive and cutting fluid it threaded right in. I went to drill a hole for the set screw (10/24) into the pop can Alignment Tab but I jumped up sizes too quickly and destroyed it. I still have the one I'm grinding down from a cable clamp and taking my Micrometer I measured the Alignment Notch and the notch in the Adapter so I can get that tab as close as possible.

Edit: It's a good thing I went into this at the time, it turns out the Coolant Bypass hose clamp was slipping off

Last edited:
With my calipers I measured the following;
Distriutor Notch width .364"
Adapter Notch width .364" X .210" height

...and with the Adaprter mounted the gap measured about .0125"

It may not be pretty but with my fumbling fingers, this is what I came up with;

P1060921.JPG

P1060922.JPG

P1060923.JPG

If I'm not burnt out from work I may try this dingus tonight.

I test fit the dingus and those measurements translated well;

P1060924.JPG

P1060928.JPG

It fit so well, I installed the Adapter and it seems I'm on my way. :)

I found it kind of odd that while all of the wire terminals in that MSD Cap are brass the coil connector appears to be bi-metal aluminum.
Perhaps a change of design by MSD?

Holy Schneiglies! It's been a while since I price spark plug wires, MSD from $106?!?

I found a set on EBay for $68, down from Impossible to Improbable, I guess.

Well it looks as though this long upgrade will be even longer. I hurt my back at work again on Friday so I'm moving very slow. The wires are due this friday, I hope I'm better by then.

Looks like those wires are getting here soon, and thank Heavens my back is doing better. :D

Last edited:

Dang wrong pic, again!

I gotta tell you Terry, this had me knocked down a few times on the 23rd, had to lay flat on my back behind the counter. Then I'd be good again for about 20 minutes then down again I went. Finally made it in to the Doc got some Flexorell and Aleve but that didn't do a thing. Luckily the back stretch exercises after three days and I'm on my way back. This was only a muscle injury, but it sure got my attention!

Last edited:
Back