Cranks but won't start

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Jeep-being-towed.jpg

Well, I broke down and had to call a tow truck. My 05 TJ cranks but won't start. I drove about 1/4 mile to the bank, went in and tried to start it again in about 3 minutes.

It will crank quickly, but not catch. It feels like it's not getting fuel.

For codes it has a p045 and a p0161, but I think those are unrelated.

I've checked the fuses, and swapped the fuel pump relay for the horn relay.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

After it was towed home I did some troubleshooting:

-No sound from fuel pump when key is turned on
-starting fluid in the intake causes it to run for two or three seconds.

I'm thinking that it's the fuel pump. I see that rock auto will sell the fuel pump itself for $70, or I can get the whole assembly for $175. Any thoughts?

I'm leaning towards the entire assembly, and trying to decide if I should do Bosch for $157 or Mopar for $193. It's not a job that I want to do twice.

Last edited:
Did you check all the fuses and relays? You should be able to swap the horn relay with the fuel pump relay. Then listen for the pump.
Or did you run out of gas?

For a ~$600 job would i skimp on parts? Hmmmm
JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Did you check all the fuses and relays? You should be able to swap the horn relay with the fuel pump relay. Then listen for the pump.
Or did you run out of gas?

For a ~$600 job would i skimp on parts? Hmmmm
JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

3/4 tank of gas
I did swap the horn and pump relay, and checked all the other fuses (behind glovebox and at PDC), they look good.
Would you buy the pump itself for $50, or the entire assembly for $190? I don't want to skimp, but I don't want to be wasteful either.

Thanks

Personally I'd buy the assembly. I know my float is bad. It sticks and has the dead spot when the tank is full. Plus it's showing signs of the check valve going by loosing prime.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Well, I got the tank out, however I noticed that one of the fuel lines is broken. Anyone know what this plastic line is? It looks like a vent line.
7b20a278db63339197630004b4399545-1.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

Look at the video I posted at app 6 min

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

$70 has one on order at the dealer. One end connects to a vent line that leads to the front of the Jeep, the other end (the one that has the T on it) connects to the charcoal canister and the tank itself).

Here's what it looks like

View attachment 23306

$70 has one on order at the dealer. One end connects to a vent line that leads to the front of the Jeep, the other end (the one that has the T on it) connects to the charcoal canister and the tank itself).

Good info, I think I might have mine routed different.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Crankshaft sensor? My 2002 Wrangler Sport wouldn't start like that (at my bank too) and it wound up being the crankshaft sensor. Easy to replace.

View attachment 23306

That's where your p045? code is coming from.... It's an EVAP system code... The other code is for an O2 sensor heater

Congrats Terry, it's gratifying when we can figure it out for ourselves!

Back