Carter AFB will not idle down

Turbogus

Now that I've got the ignition figured out time to tune that "Black Stallion" Carter AFB (like an Edelbrock Performer) I've had since the mid '80's.
A couple of years back it developed a small leak at the primary throttle shaft. I sent it in for bushing installation and following that I did a bebuild with a Jiffy kit.
I lost the choke pivot pin (nomenclature unknown) that connects the piston to the lever inside the electric choke. I found that a smooth paper clip, cut down to length fit nicely in the tiny bore.
Time has gone by and after doing other work on the motor this AFB is on despite several attempts I can't seem to diengage the fast idle cam, unless I manually disengage it by reaching under the air cleaner and doing so. It may be related to the repair I mentioned above but I'm dubious.
There's no binding in the linkage that I can determine.

21202d1446497347-carter-afb-throttle-body-repairs-formerly-timing-180-out-p1060441.jpg

P1060443.JPG

Has anyone else had this issue?

Last edited:
My inner mechanic had a word with me this morning before I got up, I'll bet I didn't put enough spring tension on the clockspring of the electric choke.

Choke external.JPG

I may get into that today during my break.

After getting into it more closely I finally found that the throttle return springs were rubbing on the cam of the kickdown slowing/prohibiting it's motion. Going to try to find offset throttle return springs.

Here's the difference;

WP_20180529_13_06_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20180529_12_47_29_Pro.jpg

No wonder those springs were hanging up the fast idle cam tang :roll:

...but do you think I could find these locally.... NO

Last edited:
Yah unless you have an actual spring mfg and know all the dimensions and spring rate... What looks the same will likely not work.

There is a o-ring shop here that can match material, size.... Nice to have around.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

This was just a generic throttle return spring that I recognized was on a 427 Chevy motor that was a project many years ago. The Ebayer's ad said it crossed to Chevy Ford and Mopar. I see to recall these offset return springs were once common, but not around here anymore. Corvallis has turned from a mech friendly town to a college fast food and upscale eatery town. The Mom and Pop places (including auto parts) are long gone.

Last edited:

Counter intuatively I rotated the e choke in the opposite direction and after taking it for a spin it idles down just fine at long last :)

Back