What is this monstrosic Fuel Line?

Turbogus

Well, now that the ignition seems to be working well time for me to think about other P.O. issues.

This is a hard line fuel line that's been in 'BB' since I got her and realative to it's shape and placement this is what I'm accounting longer than normal startup times.

P1060951.JPG

P1060952.JPG

I'm thinking of cutting the hard line, finding a flare tool and run soft (normal) fuel line from at or near the fuel pump.

Before I dive in does anyone have a clear photo of the stock position or better of the fuel line from the pump to the carb?

Last edited:

I only have experiencing flaring brake lines, but it usually goes like this - Get flaring tool, and spend 4 hours trying unsuccessfully to flare brake lines, cursing at the ever shortening line the whole time. Get angry, throw down the tool, and go to autozone and buy pre-flared lines.

Hopefully things go better for you.

While a double flare for brake lines is a little more difficult than a single flare, IMO it's not that hard to do. I do prefer to buy lines that are premade and often use brake lines for fuel lines. On my Ford 4x4 there is one brake line that uses 2 different size fittings.

Thanks for the input guys, 'BB's running fine it's just the early morning startup, with the fuel defeating gravity.

After obtaining a photo of the O.E. location of the fuel filter and lines with the help of some Thailandese fuel line (Autozone had no Gates or Goodyear) I did my best to relocate what I had from the P.O.

P1060953.JPG

P1060955.JPG

P1060954.JPG

Last edited:
I'm thinking with the fuel filter now being above the carburator fuel will be trapped in the line helping to provide a quicker startup following shutdown.

I found some Gates at NAPA the following day so I replaced that fuel line, especially because that return line runs over the top of the distributor now.

Funny thing, in the shop where I'm taking 'BBB' my '96 GMC there's a '78 FSJ Wagoneer (same year as 'BB') and I noticed that the seemingly stock fuel filter had no provision for a return line. Just a through and through filter.

For the first time ever, 'BB' started up without have to resort to pumping the gas. Just once to set the choke and on the second try she started right up. :)

P1060957.JPG

Last edited:
Back