sticking calipers

mark sr

I have a 2010 jk with 71k miles. This year I've had to replace 3 calipers. The 1st sign of them going bad is a drop in fuel mileage, then when the brakes start to heat you get the smell along with an extra hot rim. Nothing obvious shows up when inspecting the bad caliper, works when manipulating by hand .... but replacement fixes the issue. I won't be surprised if the 4th caliper fails soon.

I don't recall ever replacing calipers on any vehicle with less than 100k. I know Chrysler doesn't use the best parts on Jeeps but is anyone else having caliper failures with their stock jks?

What are you manipulating? Piston or glides?
Often ive had calipers go bad because of bad glide seals. Water gets in and corrodes or the grease leaks out. Not often under 50 or 60 K do i see the piston stick snd that is usually corrosion.

Verify no metal lines are pinched. Or any lines have a severe pinch or bend. Bleed in new fresh fluid. Dirt or a pinch in a line can act like a check valve causing fluid not to flow. Also when you fund one bad caliper it could be overworked due to another not working.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

I just had both calipers on my xj stick and heat up bad to the point my rotors were smoking. Replaced and then my rear hard line broke. Replaced along with booster. Bled all air out now the master cylinder failed. Replacing today.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Piston and glides/pins all seem ok but the proof is in the pudding - new caliper fixes it.
It just doesn't make sense to me for it to need calipers at that mileage. I don't really go off road other than my mountain driveway.

In the past 3 days I've put in a hard line, 2 master cylinders, front calipers, front pads, rear shoes, and hardware pack, bleed all air. Breaks don't work. Nothing makes sense any more brother.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Well if they are good what is failing?

Be sure nothing is binding and all is lined up. Are any of your pads worn more than others?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

Well if they are good what is failing?

I have no idea, everything looks like it should work. I was slow to replace the left front caliper because I didn't believe it was bad. The pads on that side where marginally worn more than the other. They could have gone longer but I replaced the pads ..... that was about 2k ago. Pads still look good.

You only replaced the left front pads or the caliper and pads?

Any pull to one side when braking?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

About a week or so after I replaced the left caliper I replace the front pads [both sides] The left front pulled prior to replacement but the right front didn't ..... but I caught the right front caliper quicker.

So no one else has had early caliper failures on their jks?

Back