Jk wrangler resonators

mattyboy93

Question about the resonators on the jk wrangler. Is the stock one restrictive? Would a resonator delete open the airflow with a throttle body spacer and axleback exhaust? obviously Jeep put them on for a reason. I know there wouldn’t be a significant amount but didn’t know if there would be any performance gains a delete or say high flow ie low end torque etc... opinions on this?

I guess one other question would be is a resonator required for inspection and emmission in PA?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

My limited understanding is that the resonators do not limit airflow, so you won't get any power increase from removing them. They do however quiet the exhaust, and prevent a droning sound inside the cabin.

My guess is that removing the resonator would not cause you to fail emissions.

Appreciate the response. After I posted this last night. I did a bit of research through some other blogs on other sites from ppl who wanted to and ppl who have done it. It seems most ppl have come to the conclusion that removing it makes the exhaust sound louder but is horrible for the cabin noise. I slightly thought that it wouldn’t do much if any for power etc. Believe it or not reading what ppl had to say honestly is making me double think purchasing the Gibson axleback dual exhaust I was planning on doing. It’s $500 bucks that makes it sound different when I can use the $500 else where. So idk if I’ll do that just yet. Again thanks for the response!

The TB spacer is worthless on injected engines.
CAT Back exhausts only improve hp with the use of a turbo.
Same with CAI.

Check your state DOT laws on modifications. PA inspections make sure factory emissions are intact and working. No smog test but if you hollow out a CAT you might be replacing it to pass.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

In doing research I’ve seen that TB spacers are more of a gimmick on these engines. Im gonna save that $180 bucks and use it on something else.

Thanks for the information! Like I mentioned I’m in the process of determining whether I stay stock on exhaust until I ruin the muffler or if I spend the money and get it. Im starting to sway towards just keeping it stock and holding off.

I hurried in changing a lot to improve mpg.... Spent a lot for a little to nothing. The only thing I can say for a DD is, use an e-fan. By using an e-fan You are taking a load off the engine. And when traveling above 35mph there is enough pressure to naturally get enough air flow, so the fan never kicks on until you stop or go slower. However when crawling the fan never kicks off and the load comes back as alternator load. Though when crawling who worries about mpg.
More CC more hp

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Cool I’ll have to add that to the list of stuff I’d like to install on it. I just got this jk a few weeks ago so I was weighing out what I wanted to do first. And what’s worth it or not. Appreciate the advice!

Back