How Can I Add Power?

JakeMisiaszek

Hey guys so I drive a 2000 jeep Tj with the 4cyl manual engine. I was wondering what exactly I can do to add as much power to the engine as possible. No I am not engine swapping it so don’t suggest it. I’m a 20 year old kid who daily drives it and works on it alone I can’t be taking 3 months to engine swap my daily. I was just looking for parts to add power. I know turbo/supercharger would but what are all of the other things I can do. -Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

What size tires do you have? Are you looking for power off the line (quick takeoff), or power when doing 70 on the highway? Depending on what you have and want, re-gearing your axles may help.

You are asking for low end hp and torque. In reality you can’t add any without increasing the CC of the engine.
You could look at taking what you have and making it more efficient.
Cheapest and easiest first.
Lighten your vehicle. If you are lugging equipment and supplies they increase mass and it takes more torque to get it moving.
Tune it up. Engines misfiring, too cool or overheating, bad grounds , weak battery...are not at peak potential.
Reduce the load further. The 33x10.5 or 11.5 are harder to start rolling and keep rolling than 32x9.50 . Either reduce tire size and width or regear to lower gears. This regearing comes at a cost of loosing upper end speed. You might not be able to reach 70 on the highway with certain tire gear matches. But you will have great bottom end.
Also in lightening the load, eliminate any drag on the engine like AC units, convert from clutch fan to e fan and make sure your alternator is sized for your loads. Alternators undersized are a higher load then properly sized or oversized.
Lastly comes supercharging and all that goes with it.
Superchargers give more low end boost than turbos. Turbos need rpms to become effective boost. Most around 3000rpm by then you are off the line. This is more than the cost of the turbo. With this. You will need intake and exhaust changes. And a engine swapay be easier and more cost effective.

Do not put your faith in any chip, intake or exhaust by themselves. The PCM relearns the changes and compensates. So within 1000 mi you’re back to the norm or less efficient overall.

Last edited:
You are asking for low end hp and torque. In reality you can’t add any without increasing the CC of the engine.
You could look at taking what you have and making it more efficient.
Cheapest and easiest first.
Lighten your vehicle. If you are lugging equipment and supplies they increase mass and it takes more torque to get it moving.
Tune it up. Engines misfiring, too cool or overheating, bad grounds , weak battery...are not at peak potential.
Reduce the load further. The 33x10.5 or 11.5 are harder to start rolling and keep rolling than 32x9.50 . Either reduce tire size and width or regear to lower gears. This regearing comes at a cost of loosing upper end speed. You might not be able to reach 70 on the highway with certain tire gear matches. But you will have great bottom end.
Also in lightening the load, eliminate any drag on the engine like AC units, convert from clutch fan to e fan and make sure your alternator is sized for your loads. Alternators undersized are a higher load then properly sized or oversized.
Lastly comes supercharging and all that goes with it.
Superchargers give more low end boost than turbos. Turbos need rpms to become effective boost. Most around 3000rpm by then you are off the line. This is more than the cost of the turbo. With this. You will need intake and exhaust changes. And a engine swapay be easier and more cost effective.

Do not put your faith in any chip, intake or exhaust by themselves. The PCM relearns the changes and compensates. So within 1000 mi you’re back to the norm or less efficient overall.

Thank you I found all of that very informative

Well it might not be what you were hoping to hear.

You have 33 tires what gears do you have in the rears?

Last edited:
Remove weight anywhere you can. Then consider a regear to get back to "near stock" with those 33s.

It will never be a dragster. That four is made for low range 4x4ing.

Or consider going back to stock height tires.

Back