1998 TJ AX15 Transmission Pops out of second gear on decel....

JeepJerk

Hey guys,

My TJ was popping out of second gear on decel, I decided to tear it down and overhaul it. I did all that, got it back in and drove it tonight, everything is great except it still pops out of second on decel. The gears were all in great shape, and of course all the synchros and bearings are brand new. All the clearances were good when I put it back together, I can't imagine there's anything wrong with the transmission at this point. I installed a new mount when I put it together too. Any ideas of what might be causing this? I'm glad I rebuilt the tranny, the bearings were wiped out and a couple of the synchro rings were worn so it was worth it but it's making me mad that I have the same problem I had when I started. Maybe a broken motor mount? Haven't looked at that yet but thought that could maybe be a cause. It's not lifted but has 33's on it. I think the skidplate has been dropped based on the spacers that are in there. Thanks!

Is it happening when cold?
Trans oil, at least in mine, is like gum when it is really cold out.

Or do you have a body lift? The shifter may be leaning against the body opening keeping it from completely being in gear.

Okay how thick is the spacers dropping the skid and trans? This can be the same as above.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Hi again JPNinPA! It seems you are quickly becoming my personal advisor. Glad to have your guidance.

This was happening all the time before I pulled and rebuilt the transmission, hot or cold. it’s been cold here in Atlanta since I got the Jeep back on the road, but I don’t think that’s the issue.

no body lift. If I had to guess I’d say the skid plate spacers are 3” tall.

Now that I think about it I’ll bet the shifter is touching the body opening as you describe, which is kicking the shifter out of gear when I let off the gas. Will investigate further tomorrow and report my findings here.

thanks so much for your help!

Is it happening when cold?
Trans oil, at least in mine, is like gum when it is really cold out.

Or do you have a body lift? The shifter may be leaning against the body opening keeping it from completely being in gear.

Okay how thick is the spacers dropping the skid and trans? This can be the same as above.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I took everything off so I'm looking at the shifter and top of transmission through the hole in the body- took it for a drive, the shifter isn't contacting the body at all at any time. When I'm driving along in second it just pops out all of a sudden. I'm starting to think it's the shift rail, detent and/or fork. None of that stuff looked worn to me when I had it apart though. If I hold it in second it stays in. Pretty annoying but I don't think there's a solution besides pulling it back out which I'm going to have to wait to do until some other time. Bah.

Back