Any issues with putting a different computer / ECU in my TJ?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Some time ago the wiring to one of my O2 sensors was crushed, cut, and grounded to the engine. Since then no amount of repairing the wires would cause my check engine line to go off. It always thinks that O2 heater is bad. After much search, I've started to believe that this may have damaged my ECU.

I've got a line on a new one, but I wanted to see if I could cause any damage to my Jeep by simply swapping the ECU. Do these need to be reprogrammed by a dealer, or are they just plug and play?

For the most part no as long as you stay within the years and options. You have to make sure if you have a security key you get one with SKIM and visa versa.

There was a company out there that was great at making matches for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I don't have a security key - it's just metal. I just want to plug this new ECU in, see if it makes a difference. If not I'd just swap my old one back in.

Where are things like the mileage stored? In the odometer itself?

I put a junkyard ECU in my stepson's Liberty. It put him back on the road but one of his gauges wouldn't work and the oil light stayed on. Ended up ordering a new on online that worked great for a couple of yrs [he traded vehicles] The online source was about half the price of what they wanted locally. Seems like the company needed his VIN to match the new ECU to his Jeep. That was 4-5 yrs ago.

Back