Putting new engine in a 2001 Jeep Wrangler help

cjcooper1

I’m contemplating buying a 2001 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5L 4 cylinder that has rod knock and needs a new engine. I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy it for 3000, the body is good and has nice interior with only 130k on the car and just buy a new engine. I’m wondering if that would be worth it rather than buying a Jeep for 7k. I’m also wondering if I put the same engine is there any extra work that I’d have to do to put it in, like if I could use the same wiring harness and ecu or if I would need a new one. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I was going to say that sounds expensive, but after looking on craigslist I'm not so sure.

Would you be putting the engine in yourself, or paying someone?

The thing I like about a new engine [or any new parts] is it's less likely to fail down the road. With any used vehicle it can be difficult to assess how it was treated and maintained previously. I assume [but don't know for sure] that if the same size engine is used all the electrical should be able to be reused.

Jeeps do hold their value better than most vehicles :cool:

I’m contemplating buying a 2001 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5L 4 cylinder that has rod knock and needs a new engine. I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy it for 3000, the body is good and has nice interior with only 130k on the car and just buy a new engine. I’m wondering if that would be worth it rather than buying a Jeep for 7k. I’m also wondering if I put the same engine is there any extra work that I’d have to do to put it in, like if I could use the same wiring harness and ecu or if I would need a new one. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

If the plan is to replace the engine with direct replacement, the ECU should be the same and should work fine assuming it is not damaged. If the plan is to replace the engine with something different, say a six or eight cylinder, then you will need an ECU to match the new engine and that will get complicated.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project that might save you a grand or two.

Back